13 | a thing for z's

Start from the beginning

He leaned down to whisper in her ear, "Imma be right over there, aight?"

"Okay." She turned her head to give him a kiss.

Zorion sat back down as he watched them, realizing that his distaste for his sister's boyfriend was misplaced.

It was apparent to him now, that all Ace wanted to do was keep Zolina out of harms way; which was a role that should also be his. He hoped that he got the opportunity to build that type of trust with his sister.

Ace retreated to the booth where his friends were, leaving the reunited siblings alone. The sounds of silverware and the smell of comfort foods floated in the room, creating space in between the heavy awkwardness.

"How have you been?" Zorion asked, picking up the laminated food menu. "Are you hungry? Can I order anything for you to eat? Drink?"

"No, thank you... Zorion, right?" Zolina looked at him, skeptically. "Not Orion?"

"Right. I, uh." Zorion put the menu down. "I usually just go by Orion."

A waitress came by with a cup of black coffee, and a bowl full of sugars and creamers for Zorion. She placed them down on the table before she went off to tend to the other diners.

Zolina crossed her arms defensively, "So was this your whole plan?"

"Plan?" He looked at her, perplexed. "What do you mean—"

"Constantly showing up at my gallery until you decided to drop this—" She put hand out. "—This bomb on me?"

"No." He picked up a stir stick for his coffee. "I mean, I didn't really have a plan. I just—"

"Decided to lie by omission." She stated, cutting him off again.

He chose not to argue with the statement, because her feelings towards him and how he approached the situation were completely valid.

Maybe he did go about things the wrong way, but he didn't exactly know what the 'right' way was.

He didn't know Zolina. Not this version.

"How'd you even find me?" She asked, hoping that he hadn't lied about that, too.

"The same way I told you." He sat up straight. "I was honest about that— about being a fan. I saw your art online, and then... I saw your name and picture."

When Zolina looked at Zorion, really looked at him, she saw a few similarities.

They shared the same skin tone, and both had heavy set eyes. It had gone unnoticed until now, but he too even had one shallow dimple in his left cheek.

"Ask me anything." He took a sip from his mug, watching her wandering eyes. "Whatever you wanna know."

She wanted to know everything. But where was she supposed to start?

"Your last name." She folded her hands and placed them on the table. "Is it Smith, too?"

"Taylor." He corrected. "We have different dads."

Her heart skipped a beat, "You know my dad?"

"Nah." He could see the hope drain out of her at his response. "But if it's any consolation, I don't know mine, either."

Oh, she thought to herself.

"Can I get anything else for you kids?" The same waitress approached again, taking a pen out from behind her ear. "More coffee for you, hon'?"

"We're good." Zorion told her. "Thank you, though."

Zolina watched the middle-aged woman head back to the kitchen, before she stole a glance behind her to make sure that Ace was still there.