chap 07

Jungkook

My thoughts are filled with nothing but Y/n.I find it difficult to focus for the rest of the night and then the next morning. Working out seems pointless.

Hefting the weights, sweat streaming down my body and making my shirt stick to me, I go through the motions.
I make myself do it because that’s what a man does.

He forces himself to do things he might not want, knowing it’s the right thing, knowing it’s his duty.

Just like keeping the city safe, keeping the darker aspects of the mob life at bay is my duty.

Still, when my cellphone rings and I see Taehyung’s name, I grab it quickly and swipe to answer, smearing the screen with sweat.

“Yes?” I snap. My voice is as taut as my body, as tight as my nerves.

She’s in my head, even now, the way she smiled down at me as I brought the tattoo gun to her ankle. It was the type of smile I’ve never shared with a person, not born from obedience or fear or nervousness, just…just us, me and my woman.

If it wasn’t for her aunt’s sick game with her beloved dog, if it wasn’t for the guards, she’d be with me now.

I try to remember why I’m not risking it, the lives of my men or their families.

But it all seems to pale in comparison to my woman.

“Yes?” I repeat.

“Sorry,” Taehyung  says, voice crackling. “Was in a tunnel. Can you hear me?”

“Yeah.”

“The meeting’s set,” he says. “But boss, jungkook…are you sure you want to do this? You know how jackson is, how petty that bastard can be. If he thinks you want to steal the Bonetti girl away from him –.”

“Her name is Y/n.” My fists are tight, my knuckles feeling like they might burst through my skin. “She’s not just some girl.”

Taehyung  pauses as though there are lots he wants to say. I know he’s never heard me like this before.

He’s heard me angry on a few occasions, mostly when I was younger and hadn’t learned to conceal my emotions,
but never like this, never this fierce.

I want to tear the world apart, rip it to shreds, and break its bones to keep my Y/n safe.

“He’ll only want her more,” Taehyung  goes on. “Unless we have a good reason. A good story to tell.”

“I know.” I sigh. “But I have to try.”

“Why?” For a second, I think about telling him. I could explain about the need scorching my insides, as though purifying all the darkness and the viciousness of the life, as though inviting me to start something new.

I can still taste her, still, feel her, still see the shape of her lips. The tattoo was simple, a subtle piece, but I hope it brings her strength. I hope it lets her know there’s a chance she can fly away from all this.

“When’s the meet?” I ask, ignoring his question.

“A few hours, at the usual spot. No toys.” I nod. No toys mean no weapons. It’s a good policy to have when a bunch of mob men meet, especially when they’ve got history like jackson and me.

“How much are you going to offer?” Taehyung  asks.

“Two million,” I tell him. “But I’m willing to go up to five.”

That’s a lie to make this more palatable to my consigliere.
The truth is I’d happily empty every single one of my bank accounts to get Y/n out of jackson’s clutches and avoid a war.