chap 21

Jungkook

I push down on the pedal, driving the car quickly down the country road toward the city.
My thoughts are clouded with everything that just happened between Y/n and me. It's difficult to focus on the task at hand, to push away the way we fused, the words we spoke.

She feels the same. She wants a family too.

It's unfair to the Family, the men, and Taehyung , but part of me wishes I didn't have to go.

Part of me wishes I could stay with Y/n, hold her tightly,
and talk with her about all the joy we will share in our lives.
No, life, because it's going to be one thing.

Ours.

I say nothing as I slow my pace, joining the regular traffic of the bridge.

"He gave us a meeting point?" I ask Kai.

He nods. "Yeah, same place as last time."

"He wants to brag about getting his hands on Taehyung ."

"Looks that way, boss."

"Let's see how that goes for him."

Kai grinds his teeth from side to side. He does it loudly,
like he always does, drawing my glance. The tension in the man is evident to see.

"What is it?" I ask.

"I'm sorry." He sighs shakily. "But what the fuck was Taehyung doing snooping around chinese territory all by himself? Why didn't he have some backup? Where was security? Taehyung's too smart for this."

I almost tell Kai right then. But I'm certain this is the safer way. I can't risk the chinese finding out.

Even though I trust Kai and the rest of my men, the risk simply isn't worth explaining what Taehyung was doing.
A man in my position has to be cold sometimes, even concerning his own people.

Everybody needs to believe this. Because let's say there's a rat somewhere, even if that's unlikely as hell, and Jackson finds out what's really going on,
it's trouble. He's got his hands on Taehyung . Then what?

He shoots him in the goddamn head. He executes my cousin.

"Don't go wild in there," I tell Kai. "No violence until I act first."

"You got it, boss," Kai says. "And I didn't mean any disrespect about Taehyung ."

"I know you didn't." I laugh grimly. "Hard to disrespect a man when you're calling him smart."

Kai laughs just as darkly. "Yeah, the only person smart enough to do that is the fella we're trying to save." We share another laugh, not because it's funny necessarily,
not because we want Taehyung to get hurt.

But we're Family men. We laugh in the face of danger. We both know there's a chance we don't come out of this alive.

"We should've brought backup," Kai grumbles.

"Jackson said he's only allowing two of us."

"Allowing that piece of shit." I keep driving, trying not to picture the vicious turn this could take if things don't go according to plan. I try not to think of Y/n standing at the front window of the safe house, Doggo in her arms, waiting and waiting for me to arrive.

I've put contingencies into place. Trusted men will get her and Doggo out of the Busan if I don't return.

Jackson will never get his hands on her.