Chapter 19 Hope After All

Start from the beginning

When Krushem didn't respond, lost in thought, Elaine went on; "Preparing ourselves is something we should consider given you killed the head of an operation who was bound to have other acolytes. If it's revenge they want, they'll surely come for you."

Of course Big Jones had multiple employers, not just those he'd hire to steal things for him, but followers like Dorinsky or whoever else who were closely involved in his operation. Elaine was correct in the regard that some of Big Jones' followers might want revenge upon Krushem for killing their boss. After all, they'd probably suspect it was him anyway given for all they knew, Krushem was the last person to have seen Big Jones.

Anyone else might've felt worried knowing they had enemies after them and yet Krushem didn't feel much concerned at all.

Even now, the thought of death was no debate in his mind. To die was not a notion he struggled with, but a notion which he found appealing like he was contemplating choosing his favorite food.

It seemed as if Elaine could hear his thoughts. That or else she gauged the absence of concern upon his face because she stood from the bed to approach him.

The cut upon Elaine's head had long since healed thanks to her incredible ability to heal her own wounds without effort. The skin on her forehead now was smooth and unblemished and her face clean of blood.

Krushem tried not to tense as Elaine drew closer and stopped just a few inches away. The nerves buzzing in Krushem's chest wasn't from fear though but rather uncertainty.

Still, he was uncertain of what the two of them had even become now that she had saved him twice, and he had saved her in return. Now, they were stuck in this inn room having discussed no plan moving forward.

What were they to do now now that things had so undeniably changed between them—what even were they now?

"But for now, I insist you rest. You put too much strain on your wrists, you'll do more worse than good," Elaine finished, and Krushem watched her gaze drop to his arms.

Resting now should've been the first thing upon Krushem's mind, and yet he found he would rather shun sleeping, especially now given the recent events that'd transpired. He knew it'd be difficult for him to get some shut eye when things had so drastically changed.

Things were different, and he wasn't sure if that was a good or bad thing.

"You always been this...this protective?" He asked, wanting to say bossy instead, but biting the word back.

Elaine could just leave him. She didn't have to stick around as she did. She didn't have to come try to save him from Big Jones, but she had. They didn't have to be there together in this room with only a few inches of space in between them.

"Loyal I've been always. To my family," Elaine replied, and a pang of hurt stabbed at Krushem before he could push the feeling away.

It seemed without his cherished drinks, nothing could keep his fingers from trembling, and he hid his hands behind his back as if that would keep Elaine from seeing his reaction.

"You don't even know me," Krushem reiterated to her, refusing to believe that it was just loyalty that brought out Elaine's "protectiveness" over him.

Much to Krushem's surprise, Elaine said; "Not knowing someone doesn't mean not feeling an immense amount of debt towards them. A monster, I perceived you as and you me. But we were both wrong in those regards."

A brief thought flitted into the back of Krushem's mind before he could stop it, and he found his fingers suddenly ceasing to tremble. Could it be that Elaine and him actually needed each other?