[29] Showers And Coffee

When Damian reached Wayne Enterprises, he was slightly taken aback to see the swarm of reporters waiting for him. Seeing them could point out only two occurrences; either they had found some rumor about him and wanted to confirm. Or they already knew that he had a meeting there and showed up to piss him off.

Whatever the case, seeing them there wasn't a good sign, and his assumption was proved right when he left his car.

Mics were being shoved at him but he tuned out the voices of the reporters asking him questions until he heard a name that he hadn't expected to hear.

"Mister Wayne, what do you have to say about your relationship with Ember Sullivan?"

"Is she really the heiress to both the Blackwood and Ranaldini families?"

"Do you support your family's involvement with her case regardless of the danger it puts you all in? 

"Mister Wayne what is your stance on...?"

"Mister Wayne..."

"Mister Wayne..."

He ignored them but deep down he knew it was dangerous if information about Ember's connection to the crime families was flying up in the rumors created by the press. It would put her at even more risk.

It was weird how fast news could travel and the press was always the first to catch a whiff of anything happening in Gotham City. The only difference was that they kept their eye out for scandals and rumors, not actual news that could benefit the citizens.

In those circumstances, keeping Ember's location and her true identity a secret was imperative. Yet the press had sniffed it out and that could end up causing more trouble.

The glass doors of Wayne Plaza shut behind him, blocking the entry of all those people who had surrounded him earlier. Damian was taught never to let anything or anyone get on his nerves but sometimes the press was too much to deal with such that even he would let out a sigh of relief upon escaping them temporarily.

"Good morning, Damian," Lucius Fox's crisp voice snapped him back to his composed outlook, and he turned to see the tall intimidating man approach him, "I believe Timothy has briefed you about the meeting."

"He has," he replied, joining the Wayne Enterprises' manager as he led the way to the conference room, "I know what to do."

"Good," he didn't spare him a second glance but that was how Lucius was with everyone. He kept every interaction strictly formal despite having known the boy since he was thirteen and meeting him outside of work in Galas and Christmas gatherings too. 

Damian didn't mind it because he was used to that sort of behavior. His father himself wasn't very expressive. His maternal side of the family had trained him to be more of a weapon than a human. Long heartfelt interactions didn't matter to Damian Wayne, he preferred when things were kept short and to the point. 

He even liked the way Lucius Fox treated him the same as the others. He didn't want to be treated any differently just because he was Bruce Wayne's son and the future CEO. 

The gates to the conference room parted and they stepped in. Damian's mask of calm and professionalism was up and Lucius too looked the same with not a single emotion flickering on his face. They were expecting their new business partners to turn up any moment and a deal had to be signed that day.

It was an important meeting for both Wayne Enterprises and the firm they were joining hands with. And as the future CEO, Damian had a significant role to play in it, handling that matter in Bruce and Timothy's absence to show that he was capable enough to make such decisions.