[10] Interception

Ember was nervous as she walked into the park, clutching the box in her hands tightly. She knew she was being watched but Robin had assured her that the vigilantes would be keeping watch too and will not let her get hurt.

She wasn't that worried for herself but she was more worried about Evan because if anything happened to him, she would not be able to live with the guilt that he got hurt because of her.

She had received a text that morning telling her to take the package to Robinson Park and drop the package in a dustbin marked with a yellow sticky note on the side. Her phone had already been tapped by the Bats and Tim was tracking the location from where the texts were being sent.

Damian, on the other hand, was keeping watch over Ember. But as he didn't want to attract any attention to himself from the kidnappers, instead of going there as Robin, he took Titus out for a walk at the same park.

He was already there by the time Ember arrived and he had also spotted the dustbin marked with the sticky note. So he discreetly kept watch while walking Titus around, apparently doing nothing out of the ordinary.

There was no one else who seemed to be there watching Ember which was slightly alarming. He felt there would be cameras or some other such device involved but that didn't seem to be the case either.

He checked his phone texting Tim to keep him updated. If he had to be in the park, he had to seem very casual, minding his own business so he couldn't risk staring at Ember or that bin too much.

As he took a turn and walked off to sit on a bench nearby, he saw her find the dustbin and drop the package in it then she texted something on her phone which Tim forwarded to Damian soon as he was able to intercept it. She had let the abductors know that the package had been dropped and received a reply telling her to leave.

From that bench, he had a clear view of the dustbin so he intended to stay there pretending to be on his phone while observing if anyone came to take that package.

No one suspicious approached the bin, however, the waste cleaning staff was emptying the entire contents of all the bins into dumping trolleys.

Damian texted Tim to start tracking the location of the package as it had been dumped into the garbage truck and was probably on its way to the hideout. While he had to make sure that Ember got back to her place safely.

From then onwards, their plan was simple.

Damian had to make sure Ember didn't get taken as well while the rest of the vigilantes would split in two teams, raiding the locations they were tracking both of the texts origin and the place the package was sent to.

Sinclair could be kept at either of those locations and they had to rescue him and get the truth from him as well as other people they could capture.

Intercept. Damian's phone vibrated and he saw the text from Tim.

What?

Stop Ember from leaving. Right now. The screen lit up again and Damian looked up to see the redhead woman walking to the gate.

Damian quickened his pace, and Titus had picked speed as well so it seemed the youngest Wayne was being dragged around by his dog.

Sometimes Damian felt Titus could read minds as it ran straight up to Ember, giving her quite a fright but at the same stopping her from leaving the park.

"I apologize," Damian spoke up as he pulled Titus away, feeling like his loyal friend had give him the perfect cover-up, "Miss Sullivan?"

From the corner of his eye, Damian spotted a car parked close to the gate that wasn't there before. But he turned his attention to Ember for the time being.