chapter 9 - derek's birthday

Maeve's POV

I was sitting on the benches after school ended, waiting for Rose and thinking about Connor.

We've had a few more arguments and he isn't calling me or anything at all. I haven't even seem him for 3 days. He was being an asshole about everything for some reason I didn't understand.

After about 15 minutes I saw Rose walking to the benches with Aaron and Andrew behind them.

'Hey, it took you long enough.' I said to Rose
'Yeah sorry.' Rose pouted

Rose and I were walking together and Aaron and Andrew were walking behind us. We were walking towards the cafe.

'So how's it going with Andrew?' Rose asked nudging my arm
'He still hates me, if that's what you wanna know about.' I replied
'Hmm.'
'Im worried about connor.' I said
'Has he still not called?' she asked
'No.' I said worriedly
'He'll come along, don't worry, he always does.' she said
'Yeah you're right I guess.'

After a while, we reach the cafe and sit down. Hyde and Alicia were already sitting there.

'Hey kids.' said Hyde
'Hello hyde.' I said greeting him and Alicia

We all then started to towards the venue in Aarons car. Andrew was driving.

We reach the venue and go in and start setting everything up for the party. We put up balloons and decorations and fixed the tables and chairs. We had already sent the invitations that morning and the party would start at 7pm.

By the time we finished, it was about 5pm. So we all went home to get ready for the party. I invited Connor as well hoping he would come.

I took a shower and picked out a baby pink dress and put on my lipgloss, mascara and blush. I put on a pair of black heels and waited for them to pick me up. We were going a little early than everyone else so it was about 6:15 pm. After a while they came and we all went to the venue.

Andrews POV

We entered the venue and fixed up the snacks and the cake. We had told Derek that it was just a party. The venue was small so it wasn't too extravagant or anything.

I saw Maeve setting up the cake.

She looked very pretty. I thought to myself. I mean, as much as I have dislike for her, I couldn't deny that she was totally beautiful.

It was about 6:35 pm.

'Oh shit.' said Alicia
'What?' I asked
'Could any of you quickly run to a store and get some tape?' asked Alicia
'Yeah I'll go.' I replied
'Take Maeve with you and don't say a word.' said Aaron
'Okay geez.' I said in annoyance

We went to a nearby store to buy tape when a little kid came up to me and nudged my arm.

'Hey.' the kid said nudging my arm
'Oh hey.' I said bending down a little
'Your girlfriend is pretty.' the kid said smiling
'She says you're pretty.' I said turning to Maeve
'Oh my god really, you think I'm pretty?' Maeve said looking at the kid and bending down
'Yes.' said the kid, chuckling
'Well you're a lot cuter than me.' she said and the kid smiled more and left to go to her mother

I couldn't stop staring at her. I suddenly realized that I was staring at her and abruptly looked away. We bought the tape and went to the birthday venue.

A few people had arrived including his parents and some other friends. More friends were to come and some of his close relatives.

At about 7:15 pm, a lot of people had come in including Maeve's boyfriend Connor. Aaron and I went to bring in Derek for the surprise.

We brought him in with his eyes closed and when he opened them, we yelled surprise and it was absolutely awesome and worth it.

After a while, I went to a quieter corner and heard Maeve's voice along with Connor's. I went a bit closer to where the sound was coming from and heard them fighting again.

I heard Maeve coming back so I quickly went back to the party.

Maeve's POV

'God, would it kill you to be a little nicer?' I said loudly to Connor
'Oh shut up Maeve, she's just a friend. You're being dramatic.'
'Then why the hell is she sending you pictures, friends don't send their friends PICTURES CONNOR.'
'A lot of girls do that okay, doesn't mean I'm cheating on you.'
'I don't care, why didn't you block her then?'
'Well I see her so it would be awkward.'
'So it's more awkward to block her cause she's violationg your privacy than the fact that she's sending you naked pictures? Ok got it.' I said sarcastically
'You're being extra right now Maeve and you're causing an unnecessary scene.'
'Go to hell Connor.' I said as I left and I heard him calling after me.

I went down the stairs and sat on one of the steps. I could see everyone enjoying the party and having fun. Aaron and Rose were practically glued together and Andrew was talking to a kid no older than 6, probably one of Derek's relatives.

He looked cute talking to the kid and smiling. I've rarely seen him smile. He barely does. I stared at him for a while.

Stop staring Maeve. I thought to myself and got up from the steps to go get some snacks but quickly decided against it as I remembered what Connor told me about eating too much.

3rd person POV

The party ended at about 11pm and everyone started to leave. Aaron, Hyde, Rose, Alicia, Derek, Andrew and Maeve stayed till the end until everyone left.

'Thank you guys, this really means a lot to me.' said Derek to all of them

They all hung out for a while and walked towards the car. Andrew sat in the driver's seat and Maeve called shotgun. Everyone else sat in the back.

Maeve was the last one to be dropped off. Andrew and Maeve sat quietly without saying a word.

Andrew looked at Maeve and saw that she was zoned out staring out the window.

She's so pretty. He thought again and looked at the front. After about 2 minutes they arrived at Maeve's house.

'Thanks.' Maeve said quietly
'Its alright.' replied Andrew

He watched as she went inside the house and closed the door. He was totally confused as to why kept drifting his thoughts back to her as he drove to his own house.