Everything took energy, and despite the fact that he was only halfway unpacked after two hours, he felt exhausted. His bed was filled with half-folded laundry and a duffel bag strewn with junk, but he chose to ignore it in favor of the soft pillows and cushions that awaited underneath it all. Despite his intention to merely rest his eyes, he dozed off.

Darius listened to the shuffling coming from upstairs for almost two hours after lunch, as he sat in his usual armchair with Eber resting on his lap. He pretended to read, but really he was listening to the little shuffling noises emanating from above him.

After a bit of time, they ceased. Darius strained his ears to listen intently. Maybe Hunter was just taking a break, or maybe he was sitting on his bed folding clothing, or maybe... maybe he was overdosing again, unconscious; shaking hands with Death. No matter how he tried, the man could not shove that horrible thought away from his mind. It's cold, slimy fingers wrapped around his brain, urging him to knock on the boy's door.

It's been a few hours... probably time to check on him and make sure he doesn't need any help , Darius tried to rationalize.

"Eb, I'm gonna go upstairs to check on Hunter. You're welcome to come with or stay here, but you gotta get off my lap either way,"

Eberwolf growled and rolled their eyes, but eventually peeled themselves off of the spot on Darius's lap and climbed up to his shoulder.

"Yeah, yeah, I don't wanna hear it. Might I remind you that you're living here rent free?"

This remark earned him another disgruntled huff, which Darius chose to ignore. The silence from upstairs was really starting to dig into his nerves. Taking the stairs two at a time, both Coven Heads made their way to the second level of the house.

A terrible memory popped into Darius's head as he knocked on the door: rapping on the wooden door, just above the handle. Rain pattering outside, the only sound penetrating through the evening air. No answer from inside, knocking again, making an uneasy joke. Being met with more soul-crushing silence. Opening the door, despite his hesitance, and revealing a dark room within.

His foot kicks something small and plastic, sending it skittering across the floor. Turning on the lights to reveal a most horrible sight, his kid, the one he spent months worrying about, face down on the bed, halfway to the afterlife.

Darius blinked back to the present to the gentle sound of Eberwolf purring on his shoulder. A gesture that asked are you okay?

"I'm fine, just... paranoid. He's just a little quiet for someone who has a bunch of stuff to unpack, that's all."

Just like that night, he knocked, listening for sounds from within. He felt the urge to call out, make a joke to ease the tension. He squeezed his eyes shut, heart fluttering in his throat.

"Hunter? Not to pry, but you're awfully quiet in there. Need any help?"

No answer. Fucking shit.

Without thinking, the door was thrown open and Darius thrust himself and Eberwolf inside. Afternoon sunlight lazily cascaded into the bedroom, highlighting the boy sprawled out over the covers. Despite the comforting warmth of the room, the man felt fear run ice-cold down his spine. Hunter was face down, and not waking up.

Eberwolf was trying to communicate that he needed to calm down, but Darius was not in the business of listening. In two swift steps, he was in front of the bed and rolling Hunter over onto his side.

Hazy, bloodshot eyes popped open, and Hunter shot backwards and away from Darius's sweaty hands.

" Fuckin' Titan, What the hell Darius!" Hunter eventually spat, a little slurred from his nap as he scrambled off the bed. The blood rushed to his head a second later, and he stooped over the bed and pressed a hand to the mattress to support himself.