☆: 𝐈𝐧 𝟷𝟿𝟾𝟿

About four years later
January 2nd 1989

☆★☆

Note: Red uses she/him prns <3

    Four years of running around in a mirror dimension with no signs of life. This was the unfortunate case of both Damien and Estella, who had crossed where life should never cross. There was a reason why not even the stars wanted to touch upon a land so tainted.

    The two had never found each other. Another step closer for her was always another step farther for him. But perhaps it was better they never found each other, because our poor prince eventually became very hungry.

    Poor Pocket didn't dare to venture out there. Instead, he chose to settle for the small venue of empty log cabins around him. Eventually, he hoped, someone would notice he was missing and find him.

But no one ever did.

☆★☆

    "Ugh... Red, this is disgusting." Bebe Stevens sneered as she examined the room in front of her. It was a mess: laundry strewn across the floor, posters torn down, trash from soda cans and candy rappers, and the smell of sad lavender in the air. Her face scrunched up in disgust as she looked at the redhead.

    Bebe pointed at her, her glittery pink nails shining in the dim cabin light, "And you don't look much better."

Rebecca McArthur fidgeted with the sleeve of her purple threaded sweater. She kept her brown eyes glued to the wooden floor as she replied, "It's not that bad." Though despite her denial, she knew Bebe was telling the truth.

    "When was the last time you showered?"

"You look so greasy."

"Are you sleeping?"

    "Bebe, please stop." A voice from behind said firmly. Wendy stood in the doorway, crossing her arms as she stared the blonde down. "You know Red's having a hard time about Lola."

    Bebe rolled her eyes, "What did Lola ever do for us? She deserved to get—"

"Shut up!" Red snapped, throwing the closest thing in range— a magazine that had been gifted to him. "You don't even know Lola. She's kind, smart, and she- she's everything!" He tugged at his red hair in frustration, tearing out a few strands. Tears pricked his eyes as he tried to stay calm, "Lola's everything to me."

"Well, she was." Bebe muttered, glaring over at the window. The sunlight was starting to fade from the sky, and everyone knew what that meant.

"She is." Wendy grabbed onto Bebe's pink shirt sleeve and gently tugged it. She tried her best to be understanding and polite, but it seemed the blonde only understood her own language sometimes. "Let's get out of here, okay? It's almost time for dinner."

    Bebe pushed past her and walked out the door, whispering "whatever" under her breath.

    "Sorry, Red." Wendy apologized, rushing out behind her friend. She called out to her frantically, trying to get her to see reason.

    Red sat on her messy bed, hugging herself as she felt tears run down her cheeks. It wasn't fair. Lola should still be here, sitting next to her and telling her everything would be okay.

    She was everything.

    He wiped away his tears with his sweater sleeves and sighed, she was everything. No one would ever be as good as Lola. Not as kind, or pretty, or smart, or talented— nobody was like her.

    "Rebecca..."

    "W-What?" Red looked up, her eyes red rimmed and wide. The voice was whispery and hard to hear, but she recognized it quickly.

    "I need more."

★☆★

A rush of air filled your lungs as you jolted out of a bed that wasn't yours. Your body was sore, and you were out of breath as if you'd been running a great deal.

You were too tired for panic to properly set in. Instead, you slowly observed the room; with its sad, cracked wooden walls, and the bits of sun that were quickly fading from the sky. It looked untouched from any sort of human contact, like it was better off left alone.

Where am I?

You slipped out of the uncomfortable bed and wandered around the room. It was bare, except for the dingy dressers in the corner.

You sifted through the drawers, trying to put a name to the place you were in. Instead, you pulled out a small piece of paper, with only a few words written on it in blue marker.

Your name is [Y/N] [L/N].

"What?" You stuffed the paper into your jacket pocket and attempted to search for more, but that was all there was.

    Your gaze went to the window again. Now the sky was pitch black, with no sign of anything else alive in the distance. No stars, no moon— even the surrounding area was silent— like there wasn't any wildlife around.

Again, you asked yourself: Where am I?

So you decided it would be better to find out for yourself. A sense of urgency settled upon your shoulders as you twisted the rusted metal knob to open the door, but it was gone as soon as it opened.

And there were a bunch of log cabins on the other side, all identical to yours.

☆★☆

Unedited
851 words

12/29/23