The first few days of classes are always chaotic but this was just hilarious. Riley and I were walking to potions and all the first years were running around finding their classes. "I don't want to take potions!" "Too bad you need the class for your OWLs."

When we walked through the door it closed after us with a bang. Snape walked in from his office and said, "Welcome to Potions. I see we have a disappointing group of students this year." I heard Malfoy snicker and mumble something about Potter. Which one he was talking about I will never know. Snape eyed Malfoy and said, "To start this class I will be naming each of you potions partners."

"Ms. Arkstran with Mr. Goyle," I snickered as she walked over to where Snape pointed them to sit. "Mr. Weasley with Mr. Hopkins, Ms. Greengrass with Mr. Macmillan, Mr. Potter with Mr. Goldstien, Mr. Zabini with Ms. Parkinson." He paused for a moment before reading the next names, "Ms. Potter with," he paused to look at me and finished, "Mr. Malfoy."

I immediately looked at Riley and she smiled evilly and laughed at me. I sighed and walked over to sit next to him. He glanced at me quickly and then focused on Snape finishing up the names.

When Snape finished he said, "Do not ask to switch partners. Today we will be brewing the Draught of Peace. Work with your partners or you will receive detention." I looked at Malfoy and he looked at me. He opened his mouth to talk but I said, "I suppose we don't have a choice." Just don't be annoying and maybe we'll get through this year." He scowled, "If anyone's annoying it's you." I ignored him, "mhm," and started on the potion.

"Why don't you be helpful and go get the ingredients?" I said with a smile. He got up from his stool and said, "For your information I'm getting the ingredients because I can, not because you told me to." "Mhm." Malfoy went over to the main island and Riley came over to our table. She snickered and said, "Guess we got the pick of the litter yeah?" "Haha, very funny. How's Goyle?" "He got bone marrow instead of powdered moonstone." I cringed, "Merlin, I'm sorry, but at least Malfoy knows the difference between powders and solids."

Malfoy came back, "Arkstran, why aren't you at your table?" She glared at him and said, "I happen to be talking to my best friend." I laughed, but it quickly went away when I saw the amount of powdered moonstone he got. "We need 100 grams of moonstone, not 50." "I did get 100 grams Potter, why don't you and your friend go check because you obviously don't trust my measurement skills, leave me to peacefully make my potion?" Riley laughed, "Oops, you might need to run now Malfoy." She got up from my seat and walked back to Goyle.

I looked back at Malfoy who was smirking. "Why do you assume it's your potion?" He scoffed, "We all know who's the superior potion maker here." "Excuse me? You don't realize the only reason you topped class last year was because your daddy is cozy with our professor." Malfoy looked distraught, "My f-." Snape interrupted him, "Is there a problem?" Malfoy composed himself and put a pleasant expression on his face, "No, professor."

Snape sighed, "I understand you two aren't going to be friends anytime soon but these partners were chosen for a reason. Get back to your potion." He walked away and I said, "That was weird." "I think that's the one thing we can agree on, Potter."

~~~~~

"Did you end up making your potion?" Riley sighed, "Yes." "Then why do you look so morbid?" "Because I'm in for a long year of doing things by myself. Malfoy is annoying, yes but at least he will help you."

"Yes," I sighed. "What?" "What?" "You just sighed and looked off into the distance. About Malfoy!" "I was just dreading the rest of the year." She studied me for a while then sighed and started walking again.

"We have a defense against the dark arts next," she said. I nodded and we continued on our way.

"Good morning, children. Ordinary Wizarding Level examinations. O-W-Ls. More commonly known as OWLs. Study hard and you will be rewarded. "Fail to do so, and the consequences may be severe." Hermionie started talking about how there were no spells in the books she gave us. "How are we going to prepare ourselves for what's out there?"

"There's nothing out there! Who do you think is going to attack kids?"

"Oh I don't know. Maybe Lord Voldemort?"

She then went on to talk a bunch of propaganda about how Voldemort isn't back. Please, my brother said he is and Dumbledore believed him. There is no possibility that You-Know-Who isn't back.

"It was murder!"

"That's it. My office after class!"

I looked over to Harry who was quietly talking to Ron. He made eye contact and I mouthed "Sorry." He smiled and mouthed thank you. The rest of the class was boring, just reading and writing things over and over.

After class was over I told Riley I was headed to the library. I needed to check out a book on divination. I was walking through the library trying to find the book. I looked and looked through the divination and prophecy sections. I finally went to the head of the library and asked, "Do you have The Dream Oracle?" "Looking for this Potter?" I turned around to see the blonde bastard himself. I rolled my eyes, "Yes as a matter of fact." "Well, I think I took the last one. Too bad.

Malfoy made a little pouty face as if to mock me. "I hate you," I murmured. "What? I didn't quite catch that." "Merlin, you are annoying!" He smirked, "You know we could share the book if you'd like." "Actually I wouldn't like that." "Well have it your way, guess you won't have a book for class on Wednesday." He shrugged and walked away.

I bloody hate Draco Malfoy.

When I got back to the common room River was sitting on the couch talking to some of the other Ravenclaws. He noticed me walking in and said, "What's wrong?" I slumped into one of the chairs and said, "Malfoy." "Oi that's git. What did he want?" "Nothing, I think, just annoying me as usual." Riley walked in with Padma and Luna and said, "Evy! On Saturday we're all going to Hogsmeade if you want to join us." "I'd love to!" River perked up a bit and said, "Me too." Riley hit him on the head with a book she was holding. "You can go with your own friends."

I got up and said hi to Padma and Luna, "How was your guys' summer?" Riley and I filled them into Riley's dorm and we all talked about our summers and our first days. Eventually, Luna returned to her dorm and Padma fell asleep. Riley and I headed to my room so we wouldn't wake the others.

"Were you and my brother talking about Malfoy when I came into the common room?" "Yes, why?" "No reason. Your room's pretty wicked."

I have to agree with her on that front. There were multiple windows all around the room. The bed was a queen with a blue canopy and black and silver sheets. There were multiple book shelves holding all kinds of books and my favorite part, a private bathroom. "I agree. Why did you want to know if I was talking about Malfoy?" "I was just curious." "Mhm." "Fine, I was just thinking of you earlier today. You seemed more than annoyed by him." I stared at her for a minute, maybe more, then laughed. I laughed for so long I could barely breathe.

I could barely get it out but I said, "You're hilarious Riley, truly."