Dancing With Our Hands Tied

Max Verstappen

The rest of the season is strange, both Charles and I DNS in Sakhir and I place first in Abu Dhabi, Lewis of course won the Drivers' for the seventh time in a row while I was third. Then we are on winter break.

I spend most of my time with P, taking her to different playgrounds, on boats and visiting family. It is not until Charles texts me in mid January that break becomes exciting. 

Now that Monaco is free from Covid and I can live my life again... I am in need of a +1 to a wedding this weekend. I already asked Pierre but he is busy so would you come with me? (From Charles Marc Hervé Percival Leclerc)

The first thing I think when I notice the notification is why the fuck is Charles' name on my phone so long? I quickly change it before texting back.

Sure. Whose wedding?  (From Max)

The typing bubbles appear and disappear for nearly a minute before the notification arrives with his message.

This guy I dated in a while ago... We are not really friend anymore but I got the invite and I kind of want to see what happened to him. (From Charlie)

Alright. Could you not go alone? I'll come but why do you need me exactly? (From Max)

He may have addressed it to "Charles and His Boyfriend" cause I may have accidentally told him I was dating someone to make him jealous... (From Charlie)

So I'm your date? (From Max)

It is a few minutes before Charles answer the phone again and my heart rate has increased by at least 100 bpm. What is he doing to me? I drag my hands down my face before picking up my phone again. 

Yes? If  you are okay with lying for the night. I promise it will be fun, we can make it some sort of game if you want? (From Charlie)

A game? Can I win? (From Max)

Only if you play fair :p (From Charlie)

This could either end very well or very badly, at least I'll probably be too drunk to remember anything.

Fine. Watch your back Leclerc (From Max)

Whatever you say Verstappen. (From Charlie)

I'm not sure why I'm blushing madly. Normal straight people go as fake dates to their kind of friends ex's wedding all the time. I'm not into Charles. 

--- 

P is crying in Mirabella's arms as I try to pull myself away and get ready for the wedding. 

"P, liefde, don't cry. I'll be right in the other room and Mirabella will make you pasta for dinner. It will be fun. You can watch some Peppa if you want to liefde." I say in an attempt to soothe P. Miraculously it works and Mirabella sets up the tv for P. 

I search through my closet for the perfect outfit but I'm not really sure what the dress code is.

What's the dress code? (From Max)

I keep looking through my closet for something to wear and settle on a pair of navy slacks, a white shirt and a brand new matching navy blazer when my phone dings.

The invite says semi-formal. This is what I am wearing [jpg. Charles in a dark, almost black, blazer and slacks. His hair done nicely and crisp white shirt] (From Charlie)

Alright see you soon (From Max)

*Charlie liked a message*

Twenty minutes later a knock on the door has me slipping out quietly, not wanting to disturb P who has finally settled and seems happy watching her show.