Chapter 4

Emery Rose

My gaze remained fixed on him, the only illumination coming from the soft glow of Christmas lights adorning the town square. He walked with determination, shoulders tense, raindrops making his dark hair sparkle.

The guilt nestled in my chest. He was getting wet, possibly cold, because of me. I understood this ride home was a favor he'd rather not be granting, and the weight of that realization hung heavy in the dampened air.

Grayson glanced back, a quick, almost involuntary look, maybe checking If I was following him. For reasons unknown even to me, I sent an awkward wave his way—cue self-doubt.

He shook his head and kept walking.

As we reached his Jeep parked along the dimly lit street, he pulled his keys from his back pocket and unlocked his car. He turned toward me and swung open the passenger door.

I thought he wasn't going to open the door for me. Yet, contrary to my expectation, he did, and in that moment, a flood of memories rushed back, reminding me of when he used to do this small but thoughtful gesture when we were close friends.

Caught off guard, I glanced at him, raindrops hitting my face, only to find his expression still clouded with anger. His eyes briefly met mine, and I could almost sense the clouds of annoyance enveloping him.

In that moment I realized I was just staring at him, the rain soaking both of us, as he held the door open for me.

"Oh" I flashed him a smile, the kind of smile you give when you accidentally make eye contact with a stranger in a public restroom.

Quick to break the uncomfortable pause, I averted my gaze and practically lunged into his jeep.

"Thank yo-" Before I could finish He shut the door and made his way to the driver's side.

The engine roared to life once he quickly got in and he wasted no time activating the heater for warmth.

The interior of the car was a refuge from the cold rain, but the air is charged with an uncomfortable tension. I mentally braced myself for the impending awkwardness of the ride home and I couldn't help but hugged myself, perhaps attempting to ward off both the physical and emotional chill.

Declining Olivia's offer for a ride home is now a source of regret, especially since it has led to this situation.

As the car pulled away from the curb, the awkward silence deepened. The only sound was from the rain that drummed on the car roof and, I think if you listened closely, my heart beating. And the growl from my stomach.

Suddenly aware of my hunger, I considered the granola bar tucked in my purse. But, seeing how clean Grayson's jeep was, and not wanting to make him even more annoyed, I decided against it.

I cast a hesitant glance at him, maybe searching for the boy I used to know. The boy that used to watch Disney movies with me when the world felt heavy, a boy that I could talk for hours about everything and nothing. The boy who thought entering my room through the window was a more exciting life choice than using the door.

But now, as I looked at him, it was painfully evident that the boy I once knew was long gone. My best friend who once brought joy to even the gloomiest days seemed to have disappeared, replaced by a version of Grayson that I couldn't recognize.

His cold eyes remained fixed on the road, jaw clenched.

I noticed the rain clinging to him. His black hair clung to his wet face, raindrops tracing down his cheeks. While his drenched long-sleeved shirt clung to his frame, subtly revealing his muscles.