Sleep Tight

Branch sat there, curled up in bed with his brother's favorite vest on, trying to not cry. It's been a couple of hours since the Bergens had taken his family, and he misses them dearly. He wishes Floyd was here to hold him, to tell him that everything is going to be alright. He wishes that Grandma was here to make him cupcakes. He wishes that JD, Spruce and Clay were here so he wouldn't be alone. He wishes that he didn't mess everything up so they didn't leave! He wishes he didn't sing, then maybe Floyd and Grandma would be alive.

He should never sing again, that seems to hurt the trolls he cares about. His singing caused Brozone to split. Sing killed his Grandma and Brother. 

Branch felt tears fall down his face. 

He will never sing again, he chanted in his mind over and over again. Until he drifted off to sleep.

_______________

Floyd and Grandma Rosiepuff had managed to find a hole in the wall to rest in. He wasn't sure what time it was but he thinks it's night and they should probably sleep, but he feels too anxious to do that. The Bergens were lurking outside and he did not want to take his chances.

His Grandma on the other hand passed out the moment she laid down, and honestly he couldn't blame her. She ran around a whole lot, and saved his life twice. She must be utterly exhausted from all this. He hopes she could last until they get to the troll tree.

He leaned against the wall trying to think of a plan. He thought and he thought, only to realize that there were two problems. One, they don't know where the entrance of this castle is. Sure they could wander around until they could find it, but that would lead to one of the Bergens finding them and bringing them back to the chief. So he would rather find a map of this place or an open window. 

The second problem is that they have no way of getting back to the troll tree. The tree was surrounded by a glass dome with one entrance. They installed that after trolls kept escaping through the old metal gate. The only way to get inside was a key that the chief had with them. Great, absolutely perfect, they have to find the chief that they hurt and steal a key, just great. 

Sighing angrily, he scooted closer to Grandma and rested his head on her shoulder. It will not do him any good if he stays up all night thinking this way. He's clearly tired and needs sleep. But he still feels too nervous to sleep. Maybe he'll close his eyes and try to sleep that way. 

So that's what he did, he just sat there, leaning on Grandma, trying to go to sleep for what feels like hours. He kept fidgeting and moving around to make himself more comfortable. He gave up after a bit and opened his eyes, this is clearly not working. 

He could sing himself to sleep, but he doesn't want the Bergens to him. It could lead them right to us, so he would rather not. But he needs to sleep, if he doesn't he'll slow down and get caught. 

After weighing his options, he decided to hum himself to sleep. It will be quiet, and it will bring him right to sleep.

‘Hm hm hmmm hum’

He sung the lyrics in his head.

You are my sunshine,

‘Hmm hm hm hmm’

So he doesn't get lost in thought.

My only sunshine,

And so he could think about home.

You make me happy, when skies are gray

You'll never know dear, how much I love you

Please don't take my sunshine away

He hums the song until he closes his eyes going to sleep, not realizing someone else was listening.

Outside the little hidey hole, was a young maid Bergen listening in on the song. Trying to stay quiet until the song ends, and getting disappointed when the song ends. Then walks away not wanting to disturb whoever was singing. Humming a bit of the tone as she walks away.