Moonlight.

Disclaimer: I don't own Poppy Playtime (Video Game). I don't own the picture (cover). Or the song if I put one in.

(qwertuno and SilentReadersMatter)

(Hope you enjoy.)

"...What are you planning to do?"

The voice of his polar opposite sounded behind him. Gentle as could be, but the harsh tone contradicting the real reason why he met up with them. Too close for comfort, yet the other still allowed it for old times sake.

"With what, Day-Day?"

Catnap teased the other gently, the mascot self as sensitive as their cartoon counterparts. Those who knew them assumed the cat to be mute. Which was true for the most part, he just never spoke in front of most people. Described as shy and cuddly by his own peers, the other mascot being one of them.

Even Dogday grew more in confidence, at least socially, Catnap proving himself the superior predator between them both.

I wish my skills improved more.

The bitter thought passed before a paw on his shoulder brought him out of it. Dogday's paw gripped him tightly, as if afraid of losing him out of his sight.

"...The human. They passed though here earlier. And still, you spared them. You didn't kill something, Catnap. What are you planning?"

The cat mascot merely giggled, his frame moving to attach his claws to the ceiling, hoisting himself to face Dogday. Eye to eye, face to face, only one facing normal, the other upside down. Dogday craned his neck to peer at Catnap, standing to show his true size in comparison to the other critters. Almost as tall as the other in some ways, and yet still remaining in physical appearance and in other parts he couldn't describe.

Catnap moved so they were nose to nose, Dogday keeping the eye contact. To lose this game was like submitting to Catnap's control. He only came here to find some of his friends, not a longtime enemy everyone warned him about. This was the first time they had seen each other in years.

"...You chose them over me. Your moon, your equal, Dogday. How I haven't killed them is beyond me."

The dog mascot's eyes hardened, narrowing even more at his opposite. Once they were friends, now they were enemies ready to tear out each other's throats.

"Over my dead body."

"That can be arranged."

The cat released some of his red gas directly into the other's face, Dogday countering it with his own. Secretly taking pride in the widening of his enemy's eyes, a sign that Catnap was taken aback. The mascot's paw pushed him away, the dog critter turning his back to his once friend.

"You forget I have my own means to defend myself."

Laughter is all he received as a response. The cat wasn't taking him seriously, he didn't think that Dogday held the capacity to injure anyone. Least of all him.

"Use it, then. Show me that you want to live, Sunrise. Demonstrate what you can do."

Catnap's claw curled around his throat, dragging the dog to a nearby bed. The mattress surprisingly soft, making the mascot realise that it was a makeshift. The realisation of that he'd stumbled into Catnap's temporary home chilling him to his core. Catnap letting him live scared him even more. In this situation, what positives were there to find?