Chapter 17: Ashes Of The Past P3

(Back at the Kurosaki Clinic)

Ichigo had gotten up to relieve himself in the middle of the night when he'd heard the bloodcurdling scream. The sound froze the young boy in his tracks, wondering who had traveled out into the night with the danger present on the island. Ichigo wanted to just ignore the scream, believing in the heroes to find whoever was in pain...until he heard the desperate plea for help.

He couldn't ignore something like that, child or no.

"I have to get out there," Ichigo gulped as he quickly, yet quietly went downstairs and put on some shoes for his night trek.

'Stop, Ichigo,' a voice the boy didn't recognize said in a calm, deep voice.

"...Dad? Karin? Yuzu?" Ichigo called into the darkness.

'No, I am not physically present in your home. I reside within you,' the voice told the boy.

"What? What's that supposed to mean?! Who are you?!"

'Unless you want your family to know what you are doing, I'd advise you to keep your voice down. Speak through your mind and I will hear it.'

'Am I crazy? I've never had a voice in my head before!' Ichigo held his head in his hands.

'You are still sane, Ichigo. I have only formed recently within you and know that I mean you no harm. I am a part of your soul,' the voice explained.

"Where'd you come from?" Ichigo asked aloud.

'Do you remember your conception? All I know is that while I may have come into being recently...I've always been here,' the voice ignored the boy's slipup, deciding to continue with their conversation.

"And what do I call you, then?"

'...is my name,'

"Are you joking with me? I didn't hear anything," Ichigo crossed his arms.

'It appears that you cannot hear me yet. Unsurprising, given how young you are," the voice sighed.

"Well whoever you are, I'm going out there! Someone needs help!" Ichigo walked to the door.

'And just what do you plan to do?'

"I'll think of something! I have to," Ichigo argued back.

'The marines are here for that reason. What good could a boy do against something that could wipe out entire islands?'

"If you're supposed to be a part of me, then you know why I have to go."

The voice sighed, 'I know, even if I'm against it, I know.'

"All I'm going to do is see if I can help out in any way. If Vice Admiral Aizen is there, I'll have no reason to stick around."

'I'll hold you to that, Ichigo. It is sound, if not foolish to do. But because I am against this course of action, I won't be assisting you if you find yourself in a bind,' the voice said with finality.

"Fine by me, what good would a voice in my head do anyway?" Ichigo shrugged uncaringly.

'When you are ready you will know. If I allowed you to use my power, it would put you in more danger simply because you'll feel as if you can accomplish anything...'

"Really?" Ichigo wondered if the voice was pulling his leg.

'Indeed. Know this, Ichigo, though we are the same we are also different...what you want to protect isn't the same as what I want to protect,' the voice warned the boy enigmatically.