Kabanata 28

KABANATA 28

Diovanni's POV

My car was parked outside the coffee shop where Shuen worked. It was quiet as I deeply contemplated. It had been a long time since my last visit here, and I recalled our last conversation and the turmoil that had separated us. I had been resolute then, telling her to forget about me, hoping she would do so.

But now, here I am, nervous and hoping to catch a glimpse of her even for a moment. I was in the car, waiting for her to come out of the coffee shop because she was the only one who could ease my mind. Shuen was the one I wanted to be with when I was hurting, even though I knew it was no longer possible. Just one hug from her and I knew everything would be better.

Even from a distance, just seeing Shuen made me happy. It felt like time stood still as I waited for her to come out. When she finally appeared, I felt a surge of excitement, but it quickly dissipated when Izan's presence overshadowed it. I tightened my grip on the steering wheel as a dull ache crept over me. I watched them, happy and laughing, Shuen's smiles that used to be only for me.

It felt like a lump in my throat as they moved away, and I didn't have answers to my questions. When did they become close? Was this why Izan had been missing from our meetings, because of Shuen? Was she more important to him?

The image etched in my mind was unbearable, like a heavy boulder crushing my chest. Whatever I did, I couldn't shake off the weight that felt like it was tearing me apart. I paused to reflect before finally leaving that place, my car almost running on its own. I knew of a place that could be a sanctuary, where I might be able to forget, even just for a moment.

When I arrived at Grandeur Tavern, the upscale bar in Batangas that used to be our hangout with Elias and Alphonsus, I didn't hesitate. We were supposed to celebrate a promotion here before, a celebration that never happened due to unexpected events.

"Dio?" Oguz, the owner of the tavern, immediately recognized me and his face showed joy and warmth. "It's been ages! What brings you to this neck of the woods?" he asked, giving me a tight hug.

"It has been a while," I replied, feeling a mix of emotions in the surroundings. "Just here for a drink," I said.

His eyebrows raised in surprise. "A drink? At this hour, Dio?" He glanced at the clock, then back at me as if he knew something. "You haven't finished work at the office yet, right?"

"One bottle of Campari," I simply said, sitting on a bar stool.

He looked at me for a moment, then grabbed a bottle. "You're not one for morning drinks," he observed, as he prepared the glass and ingredients in front of me. "Something's got you off-kilter."

Carefully pouring the liquor, I spoke emotionlessly. "I'm the boss, Oguz. My schedule is mine to command."

He nodded understandingly and placed his hand on my shoulder. "Looks like you have a problem," he said softly. "I'll leave you to it. Got some organizing to do in the cellar." He left me with my thoughts and the bitter taste of Campari.

Surveying the Grandeur Tavern, I noticed its spacious layout. There was a second-story area for VIP guests, while the main floor had two billiard tables and a small stage with instruments ready for the jazz ensemble later that evening. The familiar sound of jazz music filled the air, setting a relaxed tone for the early hour.

It was only ten in the morning and the tavern was still quiet, with only a few staff and myself present. Oguz Al Tiera, my cousin and the younger brother of Izan, was also with me. Among the four Al Tiera siblings, Oguz and I were the closest. Izan, on the other hand, seemed like a stranger to me now, as he had been absent from our lives for several years.