Kabanata 6

KABANATA 6

Shuen's POV

Nagtungo kami ni Diovanni sa isang malaking bilog na mesa kung saan may nakaupong grupo ng mga lalaki at babae. The men around appeared to be of the same age as Diovanni, dressed in sharp formal attire. Meanwhile, the women, exuding elegance, displayed refined grace and meticulous attention to their appearance.

Upon our arrival, some stood up from their seats. The men exchanged warm hugs with Diovanni, while the women gave him cheek kisses. I noticed some men casting curious glances at me, their expressions a mixture of surprise and admiration.

"It's a pleasure to see you, my friend!" enthusiastically greeted a tall and formal man, his voice echoing Diovanni's warm tone. "And who might this enchanting lady be?" he asked, directing his attention to me.

"Graeg's right! We're all eager to meet her," added a charming, bearded man beside him.

"Indeed! It's quite a surprise to see you accompanied by someone other than Katarina," commented a tall woman, her posture exuding a model-like grace.

The mention of the name 'Katarina' piqued my curiosity. It was a name unfamiliar to me; never mentioned by Diovanni, and I couldn't recall any close female friend by that name. I looked at Yoghurt, quietly seeking an explanation. However, he just gave a friendly smile to our interlocutors, seemingly unaffected by the mention of Katarina.

"Let me have the honor of introducing her. This is Shuen, my wonderful wife," proud niyang deklarasyon, itinuon ang atensyon ng grupo sa akin.

Sa loob-loob ko, ako ay puno ng mga katanungan. Gusto kong hilahin si Yoghurt sa tabi upang usisain ang bagong impormasyong ito. Nevertheless, I chose to stay composed, maintaining a calm demeanor in front of our new acquaintances.

"Oh! A wife!" they seemed surprised upon hearing that and exchanged looks with each other.

"Wife? Then, how about Katarina?" interrupted a woman, throwing a challenge at us.

"Gretta!" scolded a man who seemed older among them. "Cur necesse est tibi Katarinam commemorare?"

"Why not, Kuya Vitto?"

Honestly, I couldn't understand what was happening. I didn't know why they were talking like that and why they were mentioning Katarina's name. Who really is Katarina?

I wanted to ask Diovanni about it and know his answer to Gretta's question. But he remained quiet, his expression serious. What's going on, Diovanni? Are you hiding something from me? Who is Katarina? What is your relationship with her?

Unti-unti, lumuluwag ang pagkakahawak niya sa baywang ko, kaya dahan-dahan rin akong umiwas. Mukhang napansin niya ang pagkilos ko, kaya't hinawakan niya ang kamay ko. Pinag-dikit niya ang aming mga daliri, na naging dahilan para mapatingin ako sa kanya.

"Gretta," sabi ni Yoghurt, na nag-udyok sa iba para ibaling ang kanilang atensyon sa kanya, sa pag-aabang sa susunod niyang sasabihin. "Hindi ko alam kung sinong tinutukoy mo," sagot ni Diovanni, walang bahid ng emosyon aa kanyang boses, hindi mabasa ang kanyang ekspresyon.

A silent exchange of glances rippled through the group. Gretta's brows were furrowed in confusion as she turned to face us, clearly struggling to decipher the subtext of Diovanni's remarks.

"What exactly are you saying?" she demanded. "I can't follow, Kuya Diovanni. How can you be so nonchalant about entertaining another's company in Katarina's absence?" Her tone was laced with accusation, her gaze sharpening with each syllable.

Letting go of Diovanni's hand, I moved closer to Gretta, my thoughts swirling in disarray. The conversation eluded my understanding, yet a seed of suspicion had taken root within me. The last thing I wanted was to doubt my husband, but the gnawing need for the truth was undeniable.