Kabanata 7

KABANATA 7

Shuen's POV

"I really need to leave," he said, taking one last drag of his cigarette before casually throwing it into the fountain. I felt annoyed at his littering, but I chose to remain silent.

"Did you forget your coat?" I asked, noticing that he didn't intend to retrieve it.

"Keep it for now. If our paths cross again, you can return it," he said with a shrug, and started walking away.

I hesitated for a moment, thinking about the implications. If Diovanni sees me with the coat, he will surely suspect something odd happened.

"Wait!" I shouted, urgency in my voice. He stopped, with a questioning look on his face. "I can't keep this. I'll make sure it gets back to you," I insisted, handing him the coat.

His eyebrows raised, a hint of interest in his gaze. "Are you afraid of causing trouble?"

"None of your business," I replied, slightly more confrontational than intended, and turned to leave.

Habang pabalik ako sa corridor ng mansyon, napagtanto kong nawawala ako sa direksyon. Ang pamilyar na daanan na tinahak ko kanina ay tila nakalimutan ko na. Sinubukan kong kumanan, at napadpad ako sa malaking living room kung saan ang init ng fireplace ay nagbigay ginhawa mula sa lamig na bumalot sa aking katawan.

Bigla, isang sigaw ng babae ang pumunit sa katahimikan, puno ng sakit at galit. Filled with pain and anger. "Let me go! It hurts!" She shouted. "Why did you have to bring me here?!"

I furrowed my brow, worried about her situation. It seemed like she was facing a problem in the living room. Carefully, I approached, torn between fear and the need to intervene, hoping to prevent the situation from escalating into physical violence.

I slowly approached and peeked through the slightly ajar door. I saw a woman facing away, wearing a stunning dress. Her figure was slim and her hair freely flowing down her back. I couldn't see the face of the man she was talking to clearly because bookshelves blocked my view, but I was sure it was a man.

"Why are you here? Who gave you the right to come here?" The man's voice, filled with anger, furrowed my brow. I knew who that voice belonged to, and I couldn't be mistaken.

"Why? Are you feeling ashamed? Or maybe you're afraid that that woman will find out about your deceit?" The woman's response was also filled with anger and threatened tears.

"Stop it."

"Why should I stop? You should be the one to stop! You have no right to silence me, especially since you caused this mess!"

"I said enough, Katarina!"

My heart skipped a beat at the mention of that name. My pulse quickened, and my curiosity flared, eager to confirm if the man I was hearing now was the person I suspected.

"Why don't you just admit it, Diovanni? Are you afraid-" Bigla kong tinakpan ang bibig ko nang biglang bumagsak ang babae, ang kanyang mga palad ay nakadikit sa kanyang pisngi. Lumakas ang kanyang hagulgol, pinupuno ang espasyo ng kanyang pag-iyak. "Hanggang kailan mo ba ako sasaktan, Dio? This is so unfair!" My eyes widened as I saw my husband kneel down to comfort the woman. My lips trembled as tears threatened to spill from my eyes. It felt like my knees suddenly lost strength, so I held onto the doorframe to keep from collapsing. I felt my heart slowly breaking with every word I heard and every truth I discovered.

I never thought Diovanni could betray me in such a painful way. I wholeheartedly believed in the love he showed me, but it turned out to be a mistake filled with lies. The sweetness he displayed to me seemed like a fake mask, carefully crafted to hide his betrayal. The pain from this event was overwhelming.