chapter ²¹

It had been one week since the infirmary incident. And you two hadn't talked since then. He had said that he needed to figure things out, and so you let him do that.

You closed the door of your apartment and walked up the stairs, still not believing that that had happened.

You touched your lips, feeling like you were going crazy.You really wanted to see him. No. You needed to see him.

But all you could do was wait.

And wait, wait, wait and...

 °

"Wait! I think I'm getting this right. And checkmate! I think."

Silence. 

There was no response from the older man when Natsu called him. What was it that made him so distracted all of a sudden?

"Gildarts?"

Finally, he turned around and witnessed what the situation at hand was.

"Huh? Oh. Wait, hold on, we're playing dames, you idiot!"

"Oh, my bad." Natsu looked up and down at Gildarts, trying to piece together what he was thinking about.

"What's got you looking all pensive like that?"

Gildarts avoided his gaze.

He couldn't tell him.

"Nothing..."

He had kissed you. Twice! This was all wrong. He didn't mean for it to happen; it just... Thinking back to what had happened made his heart beat at an abnormal rate.

He hadn't felt like this in awhile, and it was starting to scare him. You. All he could think about was you. 

This was more than just a kiss now. He was looking back at the few weeks since his return with a different glance. The hug at his house, him getting slightly jealous when he saw your closeness with Laxus (although he would never admit that to your face), and just the overall nature of your relationship had completely shifted.

'I think I'm in trouble...' He pinched his nose, laying down on the floor next to Natsu, who was still figuring out how to play dames.

"Oh Y/N!" Natsu grinned and stood up, stretching out his body.

Gildarts had done the same, just faster and more terrified.

"What..? How did you... Are you an esper?"

"Huh? An esper? I borrowed something from her a few days ago, so I told her to come pick it up. Happy's bringing her!"

Natsu pointed at the door and then specifically at your face, coming closer and closer with the Exceed. 

You entered the house, dusting yourself off, clearly not knowing what situation you were going into. 

"Thanks for escorting me, Happy! So, where's my..? Oh."

Gildarts was here.
You were there.

'Oh' was right.

"Y/N, let me go find your thing. Wait here for a sec!"

This was awkward...

You stayed close to the door and glanced down to take notice of how hard you were gripping your hands together.

Natsu came back into the room, looking away from you.

"Ok so. Don't be mad, but... I can't find it. Would you guys mind helping me?"

"I knew something like this would happen!" You laughed at the dragon slayer, thankful for the distraction. 

When you laughed, Gildarts noticed and felt a smile come to his face.