The overhead fan was the toughest to fix. As the original fan was damaged beyond repair, I had to buy a new Panasonic fan. With my own money. I could literally feel my blood getting sucked out of my wallet.

As for the ten thousand dollars? I wasn't quite sure, as my computer had been disconnected from the power socket when I turned Hulk. When I checked my email afterwards, there weren't any new mails in my inbox. Or maybe there still weren't, I hoped.

"Coming!" I called out as the doorbell rang a second time. I could hear Saul's enthusiastic barking. "One second."

I opened the door to a very grand looking Layla. She was donned in a posh red dress that flowed along with the slight breeze. She was plucking off the pair of Gucci sunglasses she was wearing, slid it into her handbag and beamed brightly when she saw me.

"Jarod! It's great to see you up and about again!"

I returned the smile politely. "Of course it is."

Before I could say further, Saul, who'd decided that Layla was a friendly guest after all, was taking a fond interest in her bright colored stockings. His tongue was lolling and it seemed like he wanted to lick the colorful fabric.

Layla had too noticed the creature lurking suspiciously at her feet. "Ooh! Such a cute pup! Lemme guess, an American Cocker Spaniel?" She was about to cuddle Saul when he reared back and gave her a warning growl.

"It's okay, boy. She's neutral. Threat-less. And yeah, you're right. He's one of a kind." I gave Saul an encouraging pat on his head. He gave Layla a disdainful glare before stalking over to her side. Show-off.

"Do you seriously speak to your animals in that kind of language?" Layla tut-tutted as she ran her hand through Saul's golden pelt. He gave a pleasured rumble.

I chuckled. "Only during extraordinary circumstances." Giving her a wink, I held up a welcoming hand. "When you're done fondling with my dear puppy, I hope you're staying for some drinks."

A few heartbeats later, I was showing Layla the way to the dining room. Pouring two glasses of chilled orange juice from the fridge, I sat down at the dining table with her. "So, what brings you here on such a fine day?"

She took a sip of the juice. "Just curious about how you're doing with your recovery. You seem to be doing a fantastic job."

Wait till you see my room. I thought. "Yeah. Everything's healing perfectly. No missing bones, so far as I'm informed."

"That's wonderful." She nodded approvingly. "Keep the momentum and soon you'll be out there running the trails like before." Layla's one of the few friends of mine who knew about my obsession for running. That knowledge came from the incident when I totally freaked the wits out of her when she was taking a late night stroll around campus. She apparently thought I was a snatch thief or something when I whizzed by her in my running shorts. With no shirt on (well, it was a warm night). Long story.

"I hope so." My tone must have been not too bright, as Layla caught my uncertainty and leaned forwards. She laid a comforting hand on mine.

"Jarod? Is everything okay?" Her eyes were brimming with concern. I averted my eyes from hers. For an unknown reason, an uneasy feeling was crawling up my chest.

"Yep. It's fine-everything's fine." I replied shortly.

Layla wasn't Nostradamus' Best Actress of the Year for nothing. "Jarod, I admit that you're good at many things, but lying isn't one of them." She sighed. "Come on, just spit it out-what's bothering you? I'm a good listener."

"It's just..." I struggled to form a confession that didn't sound like a psychotic patient's ramble. "It's hard to explain." I slumped, defeated.

"Try. I'll fill in the blanks if I can." Layla offered.