The Date - Tabitha

Steam curled in tendrils from the rolled-up cone of newspaper my fish and chips were nestled inside

Steam curled in tendrils from the rolled-up cone of newspaper my fish and chips were nestled inside. I ducked my fingers inside and snatched up a piping-hot chip, blowing a stream of air over it before biting into the crunchy-soft potato, chewing and swallowing the tasty morsel.

Varen had taken me to the opposite side of the lake where Ascendria was settled, the ribbon of skyscrapers glowing with vibrant light like a cluster of diamonds. This side of the lake was quieter and more rugged, but no less beautiful than the wealthy city, with a charming park curving around the pebbled shore, moored boats bobbing up and down gently on the dark waters. We'd arrived a few hours ago, meandering beneath the golden lamplights that hugged the path edging the foreshore. We'd lost ourselves in conversation for so long that I'd forgotten all about food until my stomach rumbled and Varen laughed. We'd headed to the food trucks lining the parking area and decided on something greasy and easy. Fish and Chips.

The heir to Lower House Crowther was chatting up a storm. What I was beginning to realize about the big, burly brute with the gloriously handsome face and surly attitude, was beneath it all, he was boyishly enthusiastic about the people he cared about. And he could talk endlessly about his passions. He was utterly adorable with his curiosity about me too.

And here we were out on our fourth date.

Fourth. Freaking. Date!

Every night he took me out to somewhere new and exciting, and first thing the next morning before the sun rose, we met out in the Hemmlok Forest, whereupon, just before we parted ways he'd ask to see me that evening.

Tonight we were here to see the light show play out over the lake. I loved that he was taking me out on these casual dates stripped of fuss, but ever so romantic. We kept well away from any kind of talk about our future. It was safer to stick to the here and now. If I could take anything with me into the future, when we'd eventually part ways, were these lovely, thoughtful dates. I'd treasure them forever.

So as we strolled, we shared our favorite foods and passions and places we'd visited.

Vegetables we hated seeing on our plates.

I wasn't particularly fond of radishes.

And he'd scrunched his nose up at Silverbeet.

If we could have one meal and one meal only.

It had taken an age to narrow mine down to Běijīng kǎoyā. Just thinking about Peking Duck had my mouth watering.

Varen couldn't decide and simply loved anything his Mamãe cooked.

TV shows and movies.

Come on, who doesn't love Magnum P.I.?!

He admitted to not watching much TV at all. But his favorite movie this year was Misery. Then he proceeded to tell me all the things Kathy Bates should have done to ensure Paul Sheldon never escaped. And they were way worse than smashing in his ankles with a sledgehammer.