VI

Sofia had pretty much given up hope for the team.

Barça was 2-0 down, and with only ten minutes left in the game, it didn't look like there was any way to turn this around.

"Ugh, this is awful." Alyssa sighed. "The team looks rough."

Sofia watched Pedri as he ran up and down, his hair drenched in sweat. He passed the ball cleanly to his Portuguese teammate João Félix, who in turn passed it to Lewandowski. Several seconds later, the Polish striker found the back of the net.

"2-1!" Alyssa screamed.

"We're still one down." Sofia reminded her. "Two goals if we want to win."

Sofia found herself screaming as well when, four minutes later, Lewandowski managed to score a second goal, this time with the help of João Cancelo.

"2-2!" she shouted, high-fiving Alyssa. "Holy crap!"

And then, five minutes after the second goal, Pablo passed the ball to Cancelo, who scored a third goal, and the entire stadium exploded into screams.

Even after extra time, the score still stood. 3-2 to Barça!

After the game, Sofia met up with Pedri at their usual spot.

"Hey, Sof!" he said, running up to her.

"You were brilliant!" she gave him a quick hug and then they quickly pulled apart. "That was amazing!"

"A mini Remontada." Pedri grinned.

"You were amazing."

"Thanks, Sof."

****

Sofia and Pedri hung out together for pretty much the entirety of the next day. Alyssa had planned tours for herself at numerous museums throughout the city, so Sofia didn't feel bad about ditching her because she knew her friend would be having more fun without Sofia complaining at every museum.

On the 25th of September, Sofia woke up feeling like a brick had hit her.

"Come on, Sof! Wake up!"

Sofia groaned and rolled over to face the wall.

"Sof!" Alyssa exclaimed. "Plane leaves at nine tonight. Come on."

"What time is it?"

"Ten. I let you sleep in."

"We've got plenty of time.

Then, she remembered.

Today could be her last chance with Pedri.

"Pedri's plane leaves at nine as well." she realised. "For Mallorca."

Alyssa sighed. "Sof-"

"Alyssa, I don't know if I want to leave."

"Woah." Alyssa sat down onto Sofia's bed, pulling her up into a sitting position. "What?"

"I think I'm in love."

It was the first time she had ever said those words, not even during her brief teenage romance with Harry Anders.

"What ever happened to "this is legally kidnapping" and "take me home" and "I hate Spain"?"

"I never said that I hated Spain."