xi. rebel attack

-ˋˏ [ EVERMORE, ] ˎˊ-
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍 ⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
❛ REBEL ATTACK. ❜

THEY WERE UNDER ATTACK. Amidst conversation with Festus, an airstrike had been casted down on the top of the arena, creating a flying mess of debris and dust. Now, Selah was currently curled up into a ball on the ground, Festus shielding her body with his own. Even through the chaos of concrete falling and metal crashing to the ground, the screams of horror from everyone were still audible.

Selah didn't know where Coriolanus was, nor did she know where Charlie had went. She could only hope that Charlie had stuck with Lucy Gray and they had found something to take cover under, and that she didn't get injured on the way there. If Lucy Gray had gotten hurt, well, that was Coriolanus' problem.

"Selah, we gotta go," Festus yelled, pointing towards the exit that was not yet fully blocked by debris. Others were beginning to make run for it, dodging pieces of cement flying their way. "Come on!" He grabbed her forearm, picking her up from the ground. Though, it felt as if she couldnt move her feet.

     Her eyes scanned the surroundings, only being able to make out certain things from the amount of dust thickening the air. She needed to find Charlie. Festus still had a firm grip on her, trying to get her to move, but she resisted.

"Just go, Festus! I have to find Charlie and make sure she's not hurt." Ripping her arm out of his grip, she took off running in the direction she last saw Lucy Gray and Charlie walking. Festus watched her with a confused face before taking off the other way.

There were bodies on the ground and Selah wasn't sure if they were alive or not. She looked at all of them as she passed by, trying to see if any of them were Charlie, but none of them were small enough to be her.

"Charlie!" Selah screamed as loud as the could. Though instead of hearing Charlie's voice in return, she was met with the sound of Lucy Gray screaming her name in urgency. Selah turned towards the sound of her voice, trying to make out where exactly she was.

"Hold on, I'll find you." She began climbing over the fallen rubble, pushing some aside to make sure no one had been buried under any of it. Not that she was sure if she would even help them if it they were another tribute. That was just one competitor down early.

The grunts of a male were beginning to get louder as she walked. She wasn't quite sure who exactly they belonged to. A hand reached out to grab her own, pulling her on her knees beside them.

She could make out the features of Lucy Gray in front of her, and a trapped Coriolanus on the ground. A big piece of metal had fallen on his legs, making him unable to get up. Lucy Gray's arms was shielding her head.

"Can you help me get this off of him?" Lucy Gray asked with a raspy voice. Selah nodded, griping the metal with two hands and tugging at it with all of her strength. It moved only an inch, Coriolanus grunting as some of the pressure moved off of his left leg.

     "Lucy Gray! Come on, now's our chance!" Marcus, Sejanus' tribute, yelled towards Lucy Gray, nodding his head at the entry that was cleared of any guards. There would be no one to stop them from running away, and if they were lucky enough, they would flee without being caught and escape the Game.

     Selah narrowed her eyes in on Lucy Gray, almost as if she were compelling her to stay right where she was. She was not the girls biggest fan as it was, but if Lucy Gray was to flee, Selah would be sure that she would be caught.

     Coriolanus was beginning to mumble inaudible words, trying to pull at the metal himself. Selah put her hands over his, taking them off his leg. "Don't hurt yourself even more, Coriolanus," She scolded. "Lucy Gray, help!"

     Marcus shook his head at the girls hesitance before deciding to make a break for it without her. Lucy Gray watched with tears in her eyes as he ran, hoping that he would get somewhere far, far away from here.

     Selah laid on her back, pushing her feet against the object harshly. She kicked at it a few times, the metal piece moving only a little with each kick she gave. "Go on the other side and pull it towards you!" Selah instructed.

     Lucy nodded, quickly following Selah's orders, but as soon as she made it over there she was suddenly being dragged away by Peacekeepers. Selah watched in horror as they drug her away, not so much as sparing a singular glance to the boy of the Capital injured and trapped on the ground beneath them. Surely, they would come back. They had to, right? Coriolanus wasn't district scum, he was a student of the Capital.

     "Selah, please," Coriolanus muttered softly, squeezing his eyes together as he felt the heat of the fire slowly start to graze his back. He reached his hand out to hers and gave it a gentle squeeze in encouragement. She swallowed roughly, looking down at their interlocked hands.

    This time she hooked her feet underneath the structure and put all her strength in lifting it. It rose just enough to allow Coriolanus to roll out from beneath it. He rolled until he felt the legs of Selah beside him, then he was being pulled into her as she swatted away the small fire that had began to catch on the back of his jacket.

     Coriolanus melted into her comforting arms. They were both a crumpled mess on the cold floor. He gripped at her thighs, placing his head down in between the two of them, as he tried to catch his breath. She did the same as she wrapped her arms around his trembling shoulders.

     After a few moments of catching there breaths, they scrambled to their feet. Coriolanus winced at the searing pain on his back, reaching his hand back to feel the burn wound that was beginning to sizzle on his flesh. He let out a loud yell as he touched it, immediately retracting his hand. Selah looked over in worry, assessing the wound.

     "We've gotta get you to the hospital," She said, looping her arm around the upper half of his back to give him more stability. The fire was beginning to catch hold of things quickly, and the room was now a smoke and dust filled mess.

     The two of them hobbled out of the arena until the sunlight hit their faces. They both winced, swaying on their feet from dizziness.

     Then Coriolanus' eyes shut and he fell to the ground.

( ୨୧ OLIVIA SPEAKS, )
sorry for not updating, gonna
try to get better about it... 🫠