ii. twisted games

-ˋˏ [     EVERMORE,    ] ˎˊ-
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐎 ⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
❛ TWISTED GAMES. ❜

AFTER SEVERAL MINUTES OF SOCIALIZING LATER, EVERYONE TOOK THEIR SEATS. Coryo took a seat on the first row, that way he would have a good hearing of what all Plinth had to say. What he didn't expect was Selah Ravens to sit next to him, ultimately stealing away Clemensia's chair. The dark headed girl huffed, throwing Coryo an annoyed glance.

"I certainly hope you're not expecting Coriolanus to come to your defense, Clemensia." Selah shook her head, examining her perfectly filed nails. When the girl made no efforts to move, Selah finally looked up. Clemensia squirmed under the intense stare of the girl. "You look like a fool standing around, go take a seat."

"You know, karma is an interesting thing, Selah. It comes when you least expect it and it doesn't come lightly," Clemensia said, eyeing Selah up in a way she hoped made her feel intimidated. Instead it only made Selah slightly disgusted.

"That must be why your mothers shop closed so abruptly," Selah smirked, enjoying the way Clemensia's entire face fell at the mention of her families bakery being permanently closed. Rat infestation, terrible luck.

"Why I ought to throw you into the games myself. Maybe you'll finally get some consequences to that mouth of yours."

     "Oh, careful what you say. Or more than your precious bakery will be gone," Selah seethed, teeth clenching together. How dare Clemensia talk to her in such ways.

     "Clem, maybe you should just go take a seat," Coriolanus spoke up. "They're about to start, anyways." He shot her a disgruntled smile, clearly wanting the tension between the two girls to go away. Not that he didn't enjoy it, he was just anxious to find out the winner of the prize money. If it wasn't him, he was screwed.

     The betrayal in Clemensia's eyes was evident as she finally stopped talking and walked away. Coriolanus did not feel bad, however. He almost felt as if the rush of her sadness made him feel powerful in the fact he had that much emotional pull over someone. If only he could get Selah that way.

"A little harsh, no?" He whispered over to Selah, who was twirling the ends of her hair in between her fingers.

She shot him a look out of the corner of her eyes and laughed. "Her mother cheated. Weird coincidence with the rats, right?"

Coriolanus' lips tugged up a bit. She seemed to know almost all of the secrets in the Capital, and maybe he would be able to use that—use her to climb to a higher rank. All he had to do now was make sure he stayed on her good side, but he wasn't even sure if he was on it.

     While Selah was busy trying to spot Elly somewhere in the crowd of people taking their seats, Sejanus had gained Coriolanus' attention. "Hey, listen, I know you have high hopes for this, but there is no prize today. Not anymore."

Coriolanus' entire demeanor shifted and he suddenly felt the urge to scream. If there was no prize, why had he worked so hard? He stared intensely at Sejanus, almost not believing the words coming out of the boys mouth.

"What?" He seethed.

Before Sejanus could explain, a sickening laugh echoed throughout the room. Everyone's heads snapped up to the stage, greeted by their head gamemaker, Volumnia Gaul. She wore a smile full of venom as she looked around the room.

"How tantalizing to see all your smiling, young faces on this auspicious day," She spoke slowly. Selah's back straightened in her seat subconsciously as the woman's gaze landed on her. Something about the way all of her words felt like mockery made Selah squirm. In that sense, they were alike. "I am Doctor Volumnia Gaul, your humble head gamemaker, in charge of the war department and all its affiliated functions."