iii. the singing of a reaping

-ˋˏ [     EVERMORE,    ] ˎˊ-
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄 ⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
❛ THE SINGING OF A REAPING. ❜

SELAH LEANED FORWARD IN HER CHAIR, WATCHING AS A GIRL NO OLDER THAN 12 APPEARED ON SCREEN. Her breath seemed to be stuck in her throat as she studied the features and body language of the girl. Scared was the only word Selah could make out, as she held on tightly to the hem of her too big skirt.

     The camera cut off of her as soon as Highbottom announced the next tribute. Selah didn't care to listen. There was no way that little girl would even come close to having a chance of winning the Games. It'd be a miracle if she survived the first five minutes.

     "She seemed a little young," Coriolanus said, worry swimming in his eyes. Not worry for the girl, but worry for the fact he had high chances of being given a worse tribute. The Districts were narrowing down and all that was left was ten, eleven, and twelve.

     "Too young."

     "That's part of it, I guess."

     Selah wasn't heartless, but she supposed he was right. Nothing she could change, so why should she dwell on it? Regardless the age of her tribute Selah wasn't sure she could train a person to survive something so brutal. She saw it as a natural thing—strength, something you either are graced with naturally, or something your work hard to earn. Not something you gain in the mere span of three days. No matter your height, weight or age, it was never that easy.

     "12. Boy, Lysistrata Vickers."

     Selah's eyes widened, turning to see Coriolanus' reaction. He sat white as a ghost in his chair, face stoic but Selah could sense his anger. Not daring to look at anyone, he only kept his gaze straight ahead while thoughts whirled around in his head.

     "You'll be happy about this, Ms.Crane," Highbottom said, getting up from him spot on the steps. "The runt girl, District 12, belongs to Coriolanus Snow."

     "Lucy Gray Baird." The TV announced, a man standing in front of a microphone. It had cut to District 12, showing all of the qualifying tributes huddled together. Selah could see the relief on their faces that they had not been picked.

     A girl around Selah's age stepped out onto the pathway lined with Peacekeepers and began her dreadful trek up to the stage. She kept her head high, something Selah respected. Many show weakness in the face of danger but it's better to show courageousness. Better to let them know you're determined than afraid.

     "What is that dress? Is she some sort of clown?" Arcahne giggled. Selah thought the dress was quite pretty in contrast to the dark colors she fancied herself in.

     A boy stopped Lucy Gray in her tracks, a look of despair all over his face. He mumbled something incoherent to her to which she didn't respond to and kept walking.

      Then, everyone watched in horror as Lucy Gray pulled a snake from behind her back and shoved it down the dress of another girl. Immediately, Coriolanus stood from his seat just as the girl started to scream. She dropped to the ground, shaking her dress ferociously, trying to get the creature out.

     "Help her!" The escort shouted.

     The camera cut back to Lucy Gray climbing the steps of the stage, just to be met with a fist to the jaw from the escort. She fell to the ground, Coriolanus and Selah both wincing slightly as she did, and the peacekeepers drug the man away.