ix. carefree conversation

-ˋˏ [ EVERMORE, ] ˎˊ-
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄 ⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
❛ CAREFREE CONVERSATION. ❜

THE MORNING LIGHT STREAMED THROUGH THE OPEN WINDOWS. It cascaded a soft, gentle glow in Selah's room, creating a comforting sensation. Though the girl in the room felt anything but comfort. She had barley slept. Anytime she would drift off, she immediately woke back up with a jolt, gasping for air like she was running out of it.

     The house had been eerily quiet all night. Selah's parents had never arrived home, leaving the distraught girl alone with her thoughts and fears. She wasn't even sure where they were or the last time they were home. Selah hadn't seen them in days, but neither one bothered to check up on her. So she didn't bother either.

Forcing herself out of bed, she headed straight to her bathroom. She picked up her discarded clothes from the night before off the ground and through them into her clothes hamper, making a mental note to do laundry sometime later in the day.

     Her reflection portrayed a sight of misery. The bags under her eyes had very noticeably darkened, and the area surrounding them were swollen from all of the crying she did. Selah looked at herself in disgust. Angry at the fact she had let herself feel so weak. Angry that she had felt pity for Arachne, when everyone knew she deserved it. Usually, when someone died, it was nothing to Selah. It was not her who had succumbed to death, so why should she dwell about it? Arachne's death awoken something inside of her.

     It made her realize that even though they are Capital, they are not immortal. No one is.

     Today all mentors and tributes would tour the Game arena. They all hoped to scope out hiding spots and discover potential advantages. Selah knew she had to look well put together, so she splashed ice cold water onto her face in hopes to make the puffiness go down.

     A door downstairs shut with a deafening thud. Selah jumped slightly, suddenly aware that there was another presence in her house. Footsteps trudged up the stairs before the girls bedroom door swung open and in followed her mother.

     Leslie Ravens was a very polished and well respected woman—just as her husband was. Everything about her was neat and tidy. Not a hair out of place or a smudge of lipstick on her face. She was intimidating to most.

    "Selah, get in here now!" She shouted.

     Selah swallowed harshly before straightening her back out and clearing her face of any emotion. Her mother was surely going to shame her if she was to show the same weakness she had last night. Timidly, Selah exited her bathroom.

     Leslie's face was one of anger as she looked at her daughter. "What the hell happened at the arena? It's all anyone's talking about!"

God. She didn't want to talk about it. "Arachne got stabbed in the neck with a broken glass bottle." It was blunt, and it maybe a bit harsh to speak of the dead that way, but it was better than showing pity. Especially to her mother.

"By her tribute, Selah!" She threw her hands up in a frenzy. "Do you understand? You are not safe! I want you out of this whole mess now!"

Selah's teeth clenched hard. Throughout all of her teenage years, her Mother and Father were hardly ever there. Unless it was a holiday, or a dinner with another Capital family, the Ravens never spent time together. Not even on birthdays. So why was Leslie trying to be a parent now?