i. the predator and her prey

-ˋˏ [     EVERMORE,    ] ˎˊ-
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐎𝐍𝐄 ⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
❛ THE PREDATOR AND HER PREY. ❜

CHARM IS EVERYTHING IN A WORLD FULL OF GULLIBLE PEOPLE. If you're convincing enough, charm could get you anywhere and anything. Take Coriolanus Snow, for example— a boy who goes days without eating because there's not a single penny to spend in his old trousers pockets, is somehow in the top 24 finalist for the precious Plinth Prize.

     Of course, he does a good job into letting people think he has money. Dressed in the same polished clothes as the rest of the Capital kids, but if you look closely enough you'll be able to see the cheap buttons on his dress shirts. No doubt the doing of his Cousin, Tigris, as she's always had a special touch in designing.

     The truth is, the Snow's haven't had money in years. Not ever since Crassus Snow was murdered by a rebel when Coriolanus was only a child, and District 13 was destroyed. Crassus lost every penny of his investments in the District as soon as it went down.

     Selah Ravens watched the blonde move through the crowd with an elegance he must've taught himself how to pertain. Her nose scrunched up in distaste as she took a gulp from her champagne glass, eyes not wavering away from his figure. Selah was the only person that knew about his money situation, although Arachne has always had a suspicion. She constantly poked at him about it, making light jokes to see how he would react, but Coriolanus was well trained, and knew how to control his temper.

     Elly Norst chuckled darkly beside Selah. The two of them were leaned against a wall, examining everyone and drinking alcohol they were not allowed to have. "What a lap dog," She eyed Clemensia Dovecote, another finalist for the prize, as she joined Coriolanus' side. "Do you think they've done it?"

"Elly, please, don't be so vulgar," Selah said, downing the last of her drink and placing the empty cup onto the passing waiters tray and grabbing another one. He gave her a distasteful glare, to which she narrowed her eyes at, daring him to say something. Instead, he bit his tongue and continued walking.

    Elly tusked. "Oh, hush up. You've said much worse."

     "Yes, and you've done much worse." Selah scoffed, to which Elly only shrugged her shoulders.

     Coriolanus leaned over to whisper something into Clemensia's ear. She giggled momentarily before looking up at him with a sickening sweet smile. "If you'll excuse me, Els, I'm going to go converse with my fellow finalists."

     "As you wish. I'll be by the vodka." Elly winked at her before sauntering into the crowd, the monstrous headpiece her nuisance of a mother made her wear sticking out like a sore thumb.

     Clemensia grabbed a drink from a nearby waiter, biding luck to Coriolanus, and then wandering off. Clearly, she had no interest in talking to the others. She tipped her drink at Selah as she passed by her.

     "Coriolanus," Selah spoke rigidly, stopping the boy just before he joined the group. His shoulders tensed up, immediately fixing his posture before turning around.

     Coriolanus knew exactly who Selah Ravens was—you'd be considered a fool if you did not. Her father, Marco, the founder of District 4, just like his had been with 13, had many investments within the Capital. Legal or not, he wasn't certain.

     He and Selah had only ever had sparse conversations. Most of them consisting of Selah degrading him without herself even realizing she was doing as such. As she did to most people. But she was Capital royalty and Coriolanus knew better than to disregard the people of the higher standings, regardless of if they were of his age.