Chapter 49

Red

Red felt her heart leap for joy when she saw Arthur at the doorway of the church. He looked the same as the last time she saw him, minus the fact that his clothes looked a bit wet. That and the look of pure anger on his face.

Anger that was directed solely on the man holding her captive with a knife behind her back.

Red relished the look of pure surprise on Jacob's face as looked at who he believed to be dead standing before him, alive and well.

"What are you doing here?" he asked, scowling. Immediately, he tightened his hold on Red. "You are supposed to dead!"

"Sorry to break it to you but it wasn't my time," Arthur replied. "As for the first question, I am here for the wedding. Hope I am not too late."

"This is a private affair," snapped Jacob's goon.

"That's alright. After all, crashing a celebration is more fun than being invited. Although, from what I see here the bride looks like she'd rather be elsewhere."

"How are you even here anyway?" Jacob asked. "My acquaintance was supposed to kill you and your allies."

"You think one little werewolf can take me down?" Arthur asked with a smirk. "Please, you are talking to a guy who has faced countless monsters and survived. To be honest though, compared to them your friend wasn't that much of a challenge."

"He's right," Red heard the goon whisper to Jacob. "I told you that Willard wasn't the best man for the job."

"Oh, be quiet!" Jacob snapped at him before turning back to Arthur. "Very well, royal brat. You may have escaped my trap, but if you think I am going to call off this wedding think again!"

"Oh, come one buddy," Arthur said. "It's obvious she doesn't love the groom. I mean just look at her!"

"So?" Jacob scoffed. "My nephew loves her and is willing to marry her and that's all that matters. Isn't that right Lewis?"

"It's true I like her but-" Lewis started but before he couldn't finish Jacob began speaking again.

"See," Jacob said with a smug look. "So his love is one-sided big deal. Not all marriages have to do with love. Why, just look at some previous royal marriages that have happened over the years. This one will be no different than that."

  "Except for the fact that you are making her do this by tying her up and threatening her!"

"No better way to keep her from running away," Jacob said, shrugging off the accusation as if it was not as big a deal as it was. "Besides, why do you care anyway? After all, this girl is werewolf just like us: a monster."

"You are wrong," Arthur said with a scowl. "Ok, sure she has a little hairy problem but other than that she far from what you think. From what  even I first thought. She is kind, smart, brave, and cares more for her others than herself. Plus, she is not afraid to talk back to guys when they are being bull-headed jerks. The true monster, however, is the kidnapper I'm staring at right now."

Red felt herself blush and her heart beat fast upon hearing those words. She never heard anyone other than her family and Snow say that about her before. From the sound of it he was speaking honestly. If so could that mean-

"Oh, how touching," Jacob said, interrupting her thoughts.  "It appears the ugly dwarf has fallen for the wolf girl. Unfortunately, also means an unwanted rival for my nephew. Thankfully, I know how to deal with them. Malcolm!"

This he directed at his goon who immediately shifted into a wolf and ran down the aisle toward Arthur. Red heard the priest gasp behind her, followed by a thud. No doubt fainted after seeing a man turned into a beast before his eyes. She was more focused on what was going on in front of her however.