Chapter 45

"I can't believe this" Arthur exclaimed, doing his best to hide his annoyance. The last thing he expected to happen when they charged back into the forest was to get lost, again.

"Well what did you expect?" asked Phillip. "This is a thick forest after all and tend to get lost in them from time to time. Remember Hans and Gretel?"

"Yeah," said Arthur. "Only unlike them, there is no witch lurking in these woods wanting to eat us."

He remembering that story Hans told the gang of when he and his younger sister Gretel got separated from their stepmother while picnicking in the Grunhaven woods as kids. They later got lost while trying to find their way home and ended up nearly eaten by cannibal witch. Thankfully, the two were able to defeat her and find their way back home.

"Except there are two werewolves who want to kill you because you murdered their sister and mother," corrected Phillip.

"You're forgetting they'll want you dead too," added Arthur. "Remember who shot an arrow in the arm of the bigger one."

"Good point." Phillip then sighed. "You know, maybe we should just call it a night."

"Are you saying we should just give up?" Arthur asked in disbelief. "Weren't you told me no to?"

"Of course not," Phillip asked, looking offended. "All I'm saying is its dark and its getting late. Why Red and her family are probably asleep by now. Let's find a place to camp so we can sleep for the night and then continue this . That way it will be more lighter and easy to find a way to the village. Plus, I'm really tired."

Arthur turned to argue, when he noticed his brother's face. His eyes were were fighting to stay open when it was obvious they didn't want to. Not to mention the huge yawn he gave.

It was then he began to feel a touch of guilt. He was determined to make it to the village that he forgot to focus on how his brother was doing.

So with a sigh he agreed and the two then started looking for a comfortable to place.

Suddenly, there came sound of rustling nearby and they all froze. Thinking it was the werewolves, Arthur reached for the sword. Before he could though, Phillip stopped him by gripping his arm.

Arthur turned with a confused and was about to ask why but his brother placed his hand over his mouth and directed Axle to a nearby area of the forest that was very thick.

Once there, Arthur immediately pushed away. "What are you-" He started to ask before Phillip shushed him and pointed in the direction of the area they vacated.

It wasn't the werewolves as Arthur had expected but group of four men walking through the woods. They all wore hoods covering their faces, making it hard to see if they were old or young. He did notice that two of them were carrying weapons (a crossbow and an axe) so they must be hunters then.

Wait it was the middle of the night! No hunter in their right mind you go out looking for game that late. This was very suspicious.

One of the men started talking and Arthur stayed silent and listened. Phillip, who was just as curious, did so as well.

"I'm telling we should head back."

"Yeah," agreed the one walking next to him. "We have been walking for hours and my feet my killing me."

"Oh, be quiet you two," snapped the one of the in front. Probably the leader. "You two sound like children."

Arthur heard one of the men (likely the first one) mutter something rude. Unfortunately the leader seemed to have heard it.