Chapter 41

Red

Red felt anxious as the princess led her and Arthur. She wanted to turn and run but couldn't due to the princess's strong hold on her arm. So she was stuck having to participate in this dance.

Once there, everyone was immediately all separated into two lines, with males on one side girls on the other. This was for a dance called the Haymaking Jig, where everyone had to switch partners.

Red had watched this dance performed plenty of times in her town's festivals so was familiar with the steps. The only bad part was that this was her first time participating in it. She just hoped she wouldn't step on anyone's foot. The last she wanted was to anger a Fae and get another curse.

After it was assured they were all in position and musicians began did the commence. Red stumbled a bit during with her first partner, who was a faun. Thankfully, she didn't step on his foot. That and the fact was Greg, who assured her she'll get it after the first try.

Which she did in fact and found sit very much enjoyable. She found herself laughing as she danced with a faun, a dryad and what looked like an elf. 

When she saw who was her next partner would be she froze. For it was Arthur!

Suddenly, she felt very nervous and felt like run away but Arthur gave her an reassuring look. The sight of it only made her stomach flutter more instead. However, she put on a brave face and stayed where she was.

Only as they clasped hands and she looked into his eyes, did begin to feel calm.

All through the rest of the dance she couldn't take her eyes off his. It was like they were only two people there. In that moment she never wanted it to end.

She was so captivated that she didn't realize the dance was over until the sound of applause arose. Immediately, Red nervously pulled away from him and turned to look in the opposite direction. From the corner of her eye she saw Arthur do the same.

"Well." Red turned to see Princess Moth and Greg come over to them. "That was a thrilling dance, wouldn't you say?"

"It was," said Arthur. "I'm not one for dancing and all, but that one wasn't half bad."

"Not half bad, huh?" asked Phillip, approaching them with the rest of their party in tow. "Because from what I saw you were really enjoying it. Which I think I know the reason for." He turned to Red as he said this, a smirk forming on his face.

"What are you talking about?" Red asked, curious as to what he meant by that. Even more why was he looking at her as if she had the answer?

"Nothing!" Arthur quickly replied. "Nothing at all. Right?" He gave a Phillip a glare.

"Of course," the prince said, smirking. "Absolutely nothing."

Red wasn't buying that for a second. It was so obvious the two knew something she didn't and she wanted to know what it was.

She was soon driven from her thoughts when the princess spoke up.

"Hey, I have an idea. Instead of us walking around all together, why don't we all split up into pairs of two? That way everyone gets the chance to participate in and see more of the festival?"

Red stared in confusion at the princess. She wasn't going to show them around?

She was about to ask what was going on, Felix started talking. "I think its a great idea, princess. Wouldn't you agree, Greg?"

"Wait I thought-" Greg started before he suddenly cried out in pain. "I mean sure that sounds fun."

Red saw Greg clutching his leg while Felix gave him a stern look.