Seven

~Cole~

I know these things are 'team building', saying goodbye to the couple of guys that are leaving now the seasons done and welcoming in the newbies but I've always just ended up on the outskirts. 

When I joined the Cougars, one of the players died off ice at the same time and ultimately any chance at me forming a bond with these guys was instantly gone. There was too much going on, they'd all lost a brother, there was a huge team shake up and everything was chaos. I found my space on the outskirts and have stayed there. 

This is my 5th year playing here and out of the other offers I've had to play elsewhere, the idea of starting again with another team makes me feel like some creepy little insect has crawled up under my skin. As much as I kind of sit on the outside of the team, I still get invited to these things, they still try to hold conversations with me, I'm still included without me needing to divulge any personal information in return. I like that. The gentle mix of both sides. 

Usually these are filled with me waiting for my first opportunity to leave, get as many people to see me as possible so they all know I showed and to be back home in a few hours. But tonight I don't feel like I want to leave. 

The flicker of blonde across the room laughing and dancing with Lilah has had me peeking over the top of my phone for what must be hours. I hadn't seen Callie since her dramatic exit 2 weeks ago and I'd like to say I'd pushed the girl out of my mind and hadn't done anything stupid but I can't. 

No, instead, I jumped when I overheard Theo practically begging Miller to cancel his plans to play Callie's fake boyfriend for a wedding. The words 'I'll do it' slipped out of my mouth before I even thought them and I was as shocked as they were when they turned to look at me like some kind of alien. I told them I'd had plans cancel and was free and he seemed desperate, I'd spoken to Callie before and she wasn't insufferable, I could do it. Theo stood in silence and it took Miller to clear his throat before the guy shifted, said he'd talk to Lilah and let me know and walked out of the changing room. I hadn't heard back so I was taking it as she didn't want to be alone with me again, or Theo was playing older brother. 

Callie had had a few guys talk to her tonight. Not that I could blame them. The skin tight black, can't even call it a dress, piece of fabric covering her hugs to ever single curve on her body, covering just enough to leave something to the imagination. And god does it demand you imagine it. That damn dress is going to haunt my dreams for the next month I know it for a fact.  

Another guy, not from the team, some stranger from the club, makes his move. She refuses the drink he's brought over for her, smart move, but she's smiling, chatting like she's having a good time. She says something and she waits until he leaves before turning to Lilah who nods mid conversation and she heads towards the ladies. 

I give her a minute or two and decide to get the answer to if she does in fact need me, straight from the source. Making my way through the crowd, I head for the double doors at the back of the room the close off the corridor to the toilets from the rest off the club, but stepping into said, empty corridor, I'm met by what might now be my least favourite thing in the world, leaving me seeing red. 

The ass that tried to give Callie a drink 10 minutes ago now has her pinned against a wall, his body pressed hard against hers whilst he does his damned best to - I don't even know what he's doing. I'm about to stop it myself, maybe decapitate the guy with my bare hands, but I don't get the chance. With one blink, Callie lifts her knee so it connects with the guys balls and the grasp he has on her immediately dissipates and by the time he manages to stumble backwards, Callie has landed her fist square in the middle of the guys face. Blood drips to the floor and the guy  calls her a whore and tries his best to walk away.