Three

~Cole~

"What do you think of it?" Rowan looked around the packed out bar like it was something special. It definitely wasn't. It had potential for sure but you'd be putting so much money into it to get it right before you started making a profit and even then, this is as busy as it gets on a Friday night. I can't imagine it breaking profit the other 5 days a week. 

"It's a shit hole." Rowan glared at me. "You really want to waste your money on it?" 

"Your dad does." I rolled my eyes, knowing exactly how this was going to go. I don't like getting involved in dad's 'business'. It's not exactly legal and I really don't need him fucking up what I have at the club.  I worked my ass off my whole life to get into Kredrith Cougars. Just so dad could have an inkling into how games were gonna go and make a decent amount of money on them. As much as I hate to admit it, I actually enjoy what I do and where it started off as a preteen as for him and to get some kind of attention from him that wasn't how to shoot a fucking gun or fight, it had become my lifeline. A solid reason not to get involved with his work, to keep myself on the sidelines. 

It'd gone on a lot longer than he'd wanted. He wanted me to leave after college, work with him, be the son he wanted me to be. But I had as much intention as following him as I wanted to pull my own eye balls out with rusty forks. And for that, he was finding every possible way to force me to change my mind. He was still making good money on me being on the team but I'm coming up to retirement in the next few years and I'll have to find a new excuse somewhere. 

"Has he even been in?" 

"No. That's why we're here." 

"And here I was thinking you wanted to see your dear old cousin without any ties." Rowan shuffled in his seat. "It's got deeper issues than face value." I huffed, looking around more intently this time. "It'll need renovating. A good 6 months without profit. But you'd need to wait to do it. I'm guessing he'll be dumping you in charge?" 

"Until his son steps up and-" 

"You're right. Nick should be stepping up for this. Perfect job for him." 

"He's got other things to keep him busy." 

"A girlfriend." I state. 

"I don't get what your problem is Cole. Your dad is willing to give you everything." 

"I don't want it." 

"You're not going to be playing forever you know? Eventually your bodies gonna give up and you'll have to retire. What are you gonna do then? You know I'll have your back with the games man, I know you love them more than anything. I'm just worried about your future. When the deals start drying up. Then what? You know you'll end up in it anyway. So take it slow. Managing a bar-" I tipped the whiskey back, letting the amber burn my throat as it slid down in one solid gulp. 

"No." Rowan stared at me. "I'm not wasting my money on a dump like this. If my dad wants to waste his money on it, he can handle it all. Now. Am I getting another round or was the only reason you wanted me to come out tonight is to harass me about my future?" He rolled his eyes, downing his own drink and dropping it to the table with a clink and sliding it across the old wooden table to me. 

"Fine. No more shop talk. Just bare it in mind and I'll be able to say I did my best." I grabbed the glasses off the counter. "Oh, Cole?" 

"What?" 

"Don't scare off the bartenders with that scowl. They'd look pretty good in the bikini top and short shorts I'm gonna make them wear." I turned, ignoring the comment that I knew for a fact he genuinely will follow through on.