Vamps - Chapter Twentyfive

Chapter Twentyfive

The road trip to the cabin was very quiet. Neither of us said much. Especially since Adam fell in and out of sleep every two minutes in the back seat. I couldn't tell if it was from the virus or medication the doctors gave him. It didn't matter what caused it; I still let the tears fall every time he fell asleep. Whenever he stirred, I'd wipe them away quickly.
On the whole drive, I thought about telling Adam to just bite me, and that I didn't give a shit what he had to say - but then I'd just shake my head and look for a more sensitive approach to the conversation. One that he wouldn't so damn subborn to turn down...
I looked at him in the rear view mirror and bit my tongue. I almost wanted to reach around and slap him for telling me he wouldn't bite me. What the hell is wrong with you?!
I fought back the urge and kept on driving, getting closer to the house he'd eventually-
"Oh good, we're almost there." Adam yawned, stretching in the backseat with his broken leg resting on the passenger seat, laid back like a bed.
I nodded in response. That's all I've been doing this whole trip; nodding, shaking my head or smiling the weakest smile for a brief second, never actually speaking. Adam must have noticed this by now. He frowned at me, "Annie, you haven't said more than two words to me since we left the hospital. What's wrong?"
I shook my head, "Nothing." There, that's three.
"Come on, I know you better than that." He leaned forward and stroked my cheek with his thumb, "Tell me."
I drove about twenty more feet, thinking over the mental conversation I've had with myself for the past hour or so. Finally, I shook my head, "Adam, I'm just... I'm just... Frankly, I'm pissed off!" I spat out the words as if I had been choking on them this whole time.
Adam looked shocked, "By what?"
"That you won't bite me! You're gonna die, okay, and your doctor said it doesn't look so good. I've been crying the whole time we've been driving, and all last night, and you haven't noticed!? I'm losing my mind here, knowing I could save you with just one inkling little bit of pain - but you don't give a damn! I'm worried, I'm scared, I'm pissed off..." I finally took a breath after speaking for so long and taking no pauses, not even to breath. I panted from the energy coursing through my body and my hands shook with emotion. I couldn't keep talking, my voice trailed off and I kept making weird noises while I breathed...
When I looked back at Adam, his eyes were wide open and he looked almost worried for my mental health. He didn't say anything for a while, but when he did, he said, "We'll talk about this at the cabin."
I nodded and pressed my lips together, looking out the windows. "That means never."

Even though I was still mad at him about the conversation in the car, I still had to help Adam out of the car and into the cabins bed. When I went back out to get the bags, I thought about bringing up 'the problem' again, but decided to drop it. He was tired, I was tired, we both needed sleep. After running on empty for over 24 hours, I was also starving.
"I guess I can't order anything, seeing as we're in the middle of nowhere." I grumbled. Adam shook his head, "I can get someone to deliver. I'll just tell them I'm going to give extra gas money."
I let out a loud sigh as I walked out of the bedroom to get the phonebook and the house phone, "Whatever floats your boat, dude." Behind me I could hear Adam chuckle.

We ordered a simple pizza and watched some TV in the bedroom, avoiding any type of conversation. I knew he was avoiding it because he knew what I'd want to talk about, and I was avoiding it because I knew he'd get upset if I chose to talk about that. So, we didn't.
Adam nodded off into sleep after a while and didn't wake up like he did in the car. He was really tired today, which I didn't know if it was supposed to worry me or not.
I only watched him with my arms folded, thinking about what I would say in the morning once we both got some sleep...
I've decided; I want you to bite me.
Annie, I won't.
Just do it, we'll both be so much happier. How bad can being a vampire be anyway?
Well for one, you have the uncontrolable urge to eat human flesh - or something like that, I don't know what the hell he'd say.
I don't care. There's some d-bags in the world that deserve to be eaten. I'll be on a 'asshole diet'.
I sighed and laid down next to Adam; I knew he'd object to that anyway. Ew, asshole diet sounds disgusting. Great, I'm gonna have nightmares now.
I rolled my eyes before closing them and snuggling up to Adam. When I did, I felt his arms coil around me and pull me closer to him. His lips kissed my forehead and his voice whispered, "I love you."