Vamps - Chapter Twentyfour

Chapter Twentyfour

Adam smiled up to me when he woke up the next morning. I smiled back and gently squeezed his hand. He looked a little better after sleeping, but he still looked to be on death's doorstep. He frowned at me after a while, "You look tired. Did you sleep at all last night?"

I just shook my head and smiled again. "The doctor said I get to take you home tonight. But I was thinking we should get away from the city - somewhere quiet. Sound good?" I tried to keep a strong voice, not wanting to let on how heart broken I was by what the doctor had said last night.

Adam smiled broadly and nodded, like a small child. "That sounds great, Annie. I actually have a cabin just outside of town, if you want to go there?" He offered.

"Awesome, I'll go to your place and pack a few things, as well as some things for me. If I leave you here for a bit, will you be okay?" I asked. He nodded in reply and told me his apartment keys were in his jean pockets, which were sitting on a nearby chair. When I walked over and pulled the keys out of his pockets, I saw they had cuts in them and blood staind from the crash. My heart skipped a few beats, but I put on my strong face again before turned back to Adam and kissing him on the head, "I'll be back soon." and left.

I drove my car to Adam's apartment first, pulling up to the grand entrance where the valet, Henry, was expecting Adam's red sports car, and not my piece of shit. He still opened my door for me though, "Ah, hello, Annie. It's good to see you again." He smiled, then looked around. "Is Mr. Jet with you?"

"No, Henry. He got into an accident last night and I'm picking up a few things for him to take to hospital." The words came out blankly. I couldn't put any emotion into my voice, not even sadness. If I put the slightest bit of emotion into any of this, I would be sobbing the whole time I was in his apartment, mine, and the hospital.

Henry frowned, "Gosh, I hope he gets better."

I nodded, "Me too." Henry reached for my keys, but I shook my head, "I'll be right down, can you just leave the car here?"

"Yes, ma'am." He nodded. I thanked him and walked in through the doors, taking the elevators up to the top floor. These elevators even held memories for me. The little leather couch in the back of the elevator used to be so inviting, now it guilted me with memories I wanted to forget, but also wanted to remember.

I took in a deep breath as the elevator doors opened and spat me out onto Adam's floor. Slowly, I walked over to his door. When I opened it, a new wound was gashed into my heart, a fresh tear formed in my eye, only to be blinked back and pushed down under my smothering shield.

I decided to make this as quick as possible, throwing shirts and pants into a bag I found in his closet. I barely even looked when I walked into his bathroom; I didn't want to even catch a glance at the big white bed. I snatched his toothbrush out of there and practically ran to the front door.

Getting my things wasn't easy either. My own bed was just as haunting. Thankfully, I knew exactly where everything was in my room. I threw a bunch of t-shirts and a pair of sleeping shorts into a purse, then ran out of my apartment as well to get to the hospital faster.

As if he'd die any minute, I floored it the whole way to the hospital. I didn't want to lose anymore time with him.

Thinking hard on what he had told me about the virus before, I bit my nails as I sat at the red light on front of the hospital. If he just bit me, everything would be fine. He would be healthy as a horse, and neither of us would have to worry about his outbreaks anymore. I stomped my foot on the car floor; Why won't he just bite me!?

The light turned green and I pulled into the hospital parking lot, but the question remained; why won't he just bite me?

It didn't take me long to get to his room now that I knew where it was. Once I walked inside, I was thankful to see him sitting up without the neckbrace on. He smiled when he saw me, making me put on a 'strength' smile.

"Find everything okay?" He asked, kissing me on the cheek when I leaned forward. I nodded and sat on the edge of his bed. "They won't let me out for another two hours." He moaned. "They gotta give me some kind of medicine."

I smiled a bit, then looked at his heart moniters. "Well, your heart seems to be doing okay." That's a relief.

He looked too and shrugged, "Guess so. How are you though?" He asked, turning back to me. I just took his hand in mine, "I'm okay."

"No, I know you better than that." He frowned.

After thinking through the words, trying to figure out if I should tell him how badly my heart is breaking. How I wanted him to just bite me, just get this over with. I finally shrugged, "I just feel guilty." That was partially true at least.

"Well don't." He said.

I nodded.

We sat in silence for a few moments until the doctor from last night came in with a large surenge of clear medicine to put into Adam's IV. "You alright, Miss Jet? You look frightened." He said. I knew the look in his eyes told me to buck up, for Adam's sake. He didn't know what was going on though. Adam was basically sacrificing himself for me.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just excited to take him home." I smiled briefly at Adam, holding back the tears as best I could.