XVI. Eva Is Attracted To Kenji For 2.7 Seconds

Start from the beginning

"This'll get us to the dock in half the time," Kenji reassured, taking off.

"Are we sure Mr. VIP knows what he's doing?" Brooklynn asked. Her arm was hooked under Yaz's, helping her along. Sammy was quick to Eva's side, the pair moving forward through the tunnels together.

"Kenji took me down here before. Just trust him," Darius reassured. "We'll be outta here in no... time."

Sammy and Eva turned the corner to find a fence blocking their path.

"Everything looks different with the lights all freaky like this, okay? This way!" Kenji took off down a different path. The others followed, only to be stopped by yet another fence.

"No! What? This wasn't here before!"

"Why are there so many security gates?" Yasmina asked.

"The evacuation," Brooklynn guessed. "The park must be locking down automatically!"

"Oh, we have to go 'round!" Kenji huffed, "This way!"

They came across yet another security gate. Kenji huffed. He turned to the nearest door, and jiggled the handle. When it didn't open, he pounded his fists against the metal.

Brooklynn opened a locker across from the door and pulled out a cattle prodder, like the ones Roxie and Dave had a few days ago. "Oh! We can use this for—"

Kenji took the prodder and lit it up before snapping it at the door. The door didn't move, but Kenji fell to the ground.

You think I hate you? The voice in her head whispered. You think I hate you?

Brooklynn picked up the stick and turned to Yaz. "A walking stick." She handed the cattle prodder to her.

Darius laid a hand on Kenji's shoulder, but he shrugged him off. "I'm fine."

Kenji led them down yet another blocked off passageway.

"Unbelievable!"

"Kenji!"

"Attention. All park-goers must report to the south ferry dock for immediate evacuation. Last ferry departs in thirty minutes."

"Not helping!"

"Just try to remember. Breathe—"

Kenji snapped, "What do you think I'm doing? Coming down here was your idea, Darius, so just back off!"

Sammy butted in, "Uh, Kenji, Darius, the way we came from... where does that tunnel end?"

"It opens up into the park, I guess. Why do you—"

A dinosaur snarled, its shadow filling the end of the tunnel. Brooklynn pushed Eva behind her.

Yasmina fell, dropping the cattle prodder. Kenji picked it up, standing in front of everyone. Eva shuffled backwards.

The shadow grew larger until out popped a compy.

Eva let out a breath, her head hanging low.

Darius sighed, "It's just a compy."

Kenji turned on the cattle prod, scaring the compy away.

"Seriously, Kenji? It's like a foot tall," Brooklynn remarked.

"And, uh, not alone..."

A dozen compies filled the end of the tunnel.

"We need to go. In a group, compies can—"

Kenji turned around, "Not really the time for a lesson, Dino Nerd!"

"Why not?" Eva bit. "It's not like you've gotten us anywhere close to the dock."