Part 15 : His anchor

Start from the beginning

"You don't have to worry, Bhaiya!" Aniket retorted angrily. "Ek din nhi khaunga toh mar nhi jaunga.."

"Aniket!" Arnav's eyes blazed. He took a dangerous step towards Aniket who looked down immediately.

"Phir se bol!" Arnav said menacingly.

"Sach hi toh keh rha hoon," Aniket dared to open his mouth. "Aap kyun mere piche pade ho? You don't have to worry about me, Bhaiya. Aapka apna Bhai thodi hoon jo aap..."

"Call me Arnav!" Arnav cut him off. He had been hearing that nonsense since a month now. One more time and he would end up blasting Aniket off!

"What?" Aniket gave him an incredulous look.

"Nhi hoon na mai tera bhai," Arnav looked him in the eye. "Bhaiya kyun bula rha hai? Naam se bula, call me Arnav."

As the tables had turned, it was Aniket's turn to feel helpless. He looked away from Arnav but Arnav held his chin and made him look back at himself.

"Kya hua? Call me Arnav and I'll accept that I'm no one to you!"

Hurt laced tears stung Aniket's eyes. His brother was just hurling back his own words at him. And it hurt so awfully. He blinked furiously.

Words couldn't justify what Arnav was to him. He owed his existence to the only person whom he was trying so hard to push away from himself. In that moment, Aniket wondered if he would even survive if he actually ended up driving Arnav away. His heart sank at the mere thought.

"Yeh aansu kyun?" Arnav used his thumb to gently wipe away the tears that shone at the corner of Aniket's eyes. "Nhi hoon na mai tera bhai toh kyun taqleef ho rhi mere yeh sab kehne se?"

Aniket was tongue tied.

"I know you love me a lot, bachcha,"

Aniket looked at him startled.

"Tere yeh chaar karwe shabdon se tere saalon ka pyaar dhundhla nhi pad sakta," Arnav gentled his voice. "Kyun kar rha hai tu yeh sab bata? Kyun khud ko taqleef de rha.."

He stopped as Aniket stepped back from him abruptly. Aniket's heart squeezed seeing the hurt flash across Arnav's face. Arnav pulled himself together. He looked back at Aniket and firmed his voice.

"Either you have the food yourself or I'll force you to have it. Choice is yours."

"You can't do that!" Aniket's eyes widened in disbelief.

"Try me,"

Aniket's face scrunched up in annoyance. His Bhaiya was being a hitler! He grabbed the plate unceremoniously and sat down to eat. It had been long since Arnav used that threat on him but not long enough to forget the absurd and disgusting ways of his Bhaiya.

The agitation on Aniket's face made Arnav feel guilty. His features softened as he saw Aniket eating, more like gulping down the food forcefully.

"Aaram se kha le, Ani,"

"You want me to eat, Bhaiya. Now leave me alone!" Aniket snapped back.

Arnav sighed. He wasn't gonna leave untill Aniket finished up. His brother hated having meals alone. He stood there silently. He was sure Aniket wouldn't be able to finish the whole meal, given the way he was forcing down the food his own throat.

And true to his experience, Aniket ended up choking on the food after a few moments. Arnav quickly kneeled down beside him and helped him to have the water he had already kept handy.