But Levi appreciated the few who accepted their fate with calmness and serenity, knowing their time had finally come. Just a year ago, Levi appeared before a man who had lived a long and fulfilling life. He was 103 years old. The man looked at him peacefully as he accepted his fate. He thanked Levi for his service and closed his eyes, ready to move on to the afterlife.

The man's acceptance and appreciation touched Levi. It's not every day he sees someone thank him for coming. It was a refreshing change from the usual cries and pleas for more time. Humans like him were the ones who deserved heaven—those who accepted his presence, leaving the life they've spent well-lived with grace and dignity.

Then there were people Levi met more than once, those who brushed up against him but ultimately escaped his clutches. These interactions fascinated Levi the most, as by the time he finally got them, these people would feel like old friends. There would be a sense of familiarity between them. They were the only thing that provided him with a sense of companionship, even just for a brief moment.

Among these few people was a young girl struggling with lung cancer whom he met so many decades back. She had suffered a severe episode in which her lungs filled with fluid. Levi had found her in the ICU of the nearest hospital. Her pulse was so weak, and her breathing was low. She could barely open her eyes, but they widened at seeing him.

"Please... take me. I don't want my momma to suffer anymore."

Levi's brows furrowed at the request, not because he found her disrespectful to order Death around but because she would rather die so her parents wouldn't have to see any more of these episodes in the future. This young girl, barely even a teenager at that time, had begged him to end her life while others before her shooed Levi away in desperate attempts to live.

Levi could only nod; he was not really much of a talker himself. As he was about to lean down and plant a kiss on the girl's forehead, the doctor returned with an experimental drug her parents signed up for with fingers crossed. It worked on her, successfully prying her away from Death's grasp. Sixty years later, he met her again as an old woman free of cancer who had lived such a beautiful life, judging from the many frames of all her travels plastered on her walls. She greeted him with the biggest smile that warmed a tiny part of his icy heart.

"You've come back."

Once again, Levi could only nod, but this time, he flashed her a small smile as he led her to the afterlife.

Levi preferred these types of people to the former. They were calm, collected, and sometimes fascinating to talk to on the way to heaven, although Levi barely did the talking. He loves to listen to those who have great stories of their lives.

But despite all this, Levi remained detached from the world he frequented. He was a mere observer, a witness to the ceaseless cycle of life and death. He had no friends, no family, and no love. He was just a reaper, a bringer of Death, a shadow in the night. It was best not to care about these insignificant passing people, no matter how interesting they can be at such a few times.

And yet, as the months passed, Levi began to feel a gnawing sense of emptiness. As a Grim Reaper, Levi had seen so much death, so much pain, and so much suffering from the innocent to the vile and everything in between, with only a faint light of acceptance at the end of the journey that he began to wonder if there was more to life than just the end. Thousands of souls had passed through his grasp, each with stories and regrets. He had grown tired of his routine and the monotony of it all. Levi would appear before them, his ominous presence sending shivers down their spines, and just like the others before them, most of these humans would scream and try to run, while only a few would abide by their fate as Levi kissed them to their deaths. And just like the humans feeling the life sucked out of their core, Levi longed to feel something, anything, to break free from his numb existence that seemed to be more of a curse than a job.