Chapter 21 - Roman visits Vain who, in turn, lies to him.

Roman woke with a jolt.

He'd been having a nightmare, but the details were foggy. A vague sense of being chased lingered. He wiped his hands on the bedsheets. When, in the past year, had someone not been chasing him? He'd been on the run for so long now that staying in one place seemed stranger than moving. Always hiding. So many close calls. So many times when Vain had nearly died.

He smoothed down his hair with a weary hand and crawled out of the massive queen-sized bed the twins put him in. They had made a life for themselves here. They built the two floors above the restaurant like a fortress. Hush said the construction cost over a million dollars and included top of the line security, cameras everywhere, and Mark's hired guards watching them around the clock. Arthur and Trick couldn't get within ten miles of this place without him knowing.

When they'd first escaped the Hotel, he agreed with Vain's decision to leave. Staying in one place seemed dangerous and the animosity towards Vain was causing constant friction. But looking back on the past year, had it been the right decision? The twins built something, constructed a life. Charm was in a book club, for God's sake. If Roman had stayed, he could have helped. Instead, he'd run with Vain; and what did he have to show for it? Bruises, a weary soul, a broken Padlock, and not a single step closer to safety. He couldn't even collect air miles because he didn't have a frigging identity.

He showered and put on the new clothes Hush had secured. For whatever reason, a couple dozen wool knit sweaters filled the drawers. Hush was eager to prove that money wasn't an issue and sent one of his 'people' out for supplies. Charm filled him in on the details of their wealth before bed. Hush was unstoppable in his quest to get money and build power. He owned land, buildings, stocks, the works. He even started a holding company to manage their various investments. It had been effortless. Hush started by approach bankers in the downtown district and telling them to give him insider stock tips. Then he bought the stock. Every single one made money. In months, he was a millionaire. Once you hit a certain level of wealth, it became self-sustaining. It was impossible not to earn more. Charm wasn't sure how much Hush was worth, but estimated it to be millions.

Charm spent her time walking the streets of Minneapolis, going for jogs around the lakes, reading books, and watching movies; always followed by Mark or one of his team. She seemed quieter than he remembered. Some of her confidence and lighthearted way with people had returned, but she was still dealing with the death of Patience.

And now Vain had introduced a new person into the mix. He wasn't sure how Emma fit into all of this. She was quiet, probably intimidated by the family drama. She had strength, though; a quiet core of determination. An intelligence worked behind those eyes that studied everything. If trading a broken Padlock saved her and gave him and Vain their freedom, he'd take that deal.

Given that Vain agreed to the plan without complaint, it meant she had something brewing in her head. He needed to find out what that something was; preferably before they met Trick. He was relieved she'd survived, but that little scare hadn't taken any of the fight out of her. She'd plan something. Something she believed would be best for everyone, even if it meant a path they didn't want to take.

He wandered into the hallway, trying to remember which bedroom Vain and Emma were sleeping in. This place was enormous. A door that he thought led to their room was ajar, and he knocked before poking his head through.

"Hello? Anyone in here? Vain?"

Vain sat cross-legged on the bed with a laptop on her knees, wearing giant headphones that dwarfed her face. She wore the polka-dot pajamas the twins had given her, and her big eyes were wide, staring at the screen. Her lips twitched while she watched.