𝙨𝙞𝙭.

THE WHOLE RIDE HOME, PAUL COULD not wipe the smile from his face

THE WHOLE RIDE HOME, PAUL COULD not wipe the smile from his face. And he didn't want to.

Even as he approached his friends sitting in the garage, his smile did not falter, only slightly dropping upon seeing that Sam isn't with them, like the two previous nights before. The last time Paul saw him, the older boy was angry and burning up, apparently he has mono, but Paul isn't sure he believes that. He sighs inwardly in disappointment; he won't admit it to anyone, hardly even himself, but he kind of misses Sam.

"There you are." Jared voices as Paul nears them - Jake, Quil and Embry. "Thought you got lost."

Paul shakes his head and leans himself against Jakes car, which is a slow work in progress. "Forks is twenty five minutes there and back."

"Uh-huh." Jared hums. "Hows Dorothea?"

Paul attempts to smother his smile at the mention of her name but ultimately fails miserably. "Shes good."

"You loveee her." Embry teases, dragging out the word in a singy song voice.

Pull rolls his eyes. "Dude, shut up, no I don't."

"Then why'd you ditch us for her?" Jared asks, lifting one of his bushy eyebrows.

"I didn't ditch anyone." Paul says, shaking his head.

"Jake and I had to walk home." Jared informs him, sounding a little bitter about it still.

Paul deadpans at him. "You live two minutes from the beach, dude."

"Still! It's the principle of it!" Jared continues.

"Listen," Paul begins, "I'm sorry you're jealous that girls are interested in me, but I can't help it."

Jared takes a second to spit out a response. "Girls like me!"

"Your mom doesn't count." Embry says, snickering when Jared glares at him.

"Shut up!" Jared says, obviously offended.

Paul laughs at him, which makes everyone else laugh at him, too, before eventually making Jared himself begin to chuckle.

"Did you get her number this time, at least?" Quil asks after the laughter dies down.

Paul smiles triumphantly. "I did."

"And you're sure she'll call you?" Jared asks, leaning against the workbench behind him with his arms crossed.

"Yeah," Paul scoffs, "why wouldn't she?"