⇉ Chapter Sixteen

[This chapter is dedicated to decemberluke for the amazing cover that I've put up].

We all have those moments where we hate it how our parents incessantly feel the need to interfere in our personal lives, because ostensibly it's best if they made those choices for us. 

It's best because they know better. The thing is, that wasn't the problem. We know they know better and more, they've lived longer and have been smart longer, they've known things longer. We don't. 

The problem was, the thing about making choices is that you had to make all the wrong ones once or twice just to make the right ones happen. If we let them make those choices for us, we wouldn't be people of our own command anymore. We would be people who let others push us around. 

 And I just have to be a woman of my own command, no matter what.

(8th of October, Wednesday)

Locking the door behind me, I dismissed my school bag by the entrance and called out for my dad, who took the air out with an awfully fake smile, wiping his hands on his jeans and moving forward to stand by my side.

"There's someone to see you here and I want you to act calm, for me, please," he asked, looking at me with worry in his eyes and I frowned, "Is everything all right?" I asked, turning to look through the door at the living room, but failing to see anything.

"Not really, let's go."

He placed his hand behind the small of my back and slowly pushed me through the living room, I was searching for different signs that might be shown on his face, but all I could really see was a bead of sweat on the side of his forehead.

I face front and find a woman with bright blonde curls, neatly tied up into a long ponytail that probably covered most of her back. Her long body was curvy in every best way, I've never seen a woman so immaculate, but when I looked into her icy blue eyes, almost gray like the shadow of the snow, my amazement faded into anger and I looked at my dad, my face probably redder than ever. I could hear him swallow next to me and whisper, "please."

Quietly sitting down, I cross my leg over the other and look at her, at the birth giver that looked nothing like any of us. How could my father ever fall in love with such an awful woman?

"Hello, Alaska," she smiled, her red lips stretching over her face, her cheeks almost not visible to the eye.

I just raise my eyebrow at her and nod, motioning for her to continue.

"I was just driving through and thought I'd stop by, got you some stuff here. I'm sure your dad doesn't go bra shopping with you, so I got some stuff and was wondering if we could talk? Your dad makes wonderful coffee."

I scoffed, "my dad makes the best coffee and he doesn't take me bra shopping, he gets them for me. In other words, he's been playing ever single role in my life that I need and I don't need your extra baggage on my shoulders. The door's right by the corner of the next room down the corridor. Feel free to let yourself out, Kennieth."

"I'm going to take a nap, dad. See you," placing a small kiss on his cheek, I smiled up at him and ruffled his dark hair. Smiling at the fact that, even though he looked mad, there was only pride in his for me. I knew it.

I didn't want to engage myself with a woman who didn't play any sort of role in my life, she was as good as any stranger passing by me on a Monday morning on my way to school. She was worse than nothing, because nothing never bothered you. Nothing doesn't exist. It's just nothing.

Closing my eyes, I let my mind take over all the thoughts about her for the first time in seven years.

Hearing the crash in the living room, I forced my little legs to drag me in the kitchen as I hoped down the stairs holding onto the railing so I won't fall over.