⇉ Chapter Twenty Four

Most teenagers assume that their parents are completely clueless about what's happening in their life, and I'm one of those teenagers, and usually that assumption is quite true. Or at least, I thought it was.

I never knew a parent could stand up for you in a way that my dad did today, they usually pretend to be more respectful even to the friends you have that they don't like.

Apparently my dad doesn't pretend anything. And I like that.

[6th of November 2011, Sunday]

I could hear all the noise coming all the way from the living room downstairs. Most of my friends, or whoever came, laughing at some, apparently insane, joke my dad's cracking.

I hated the fact that I was so nervous about this, constantly wiping my palms on my thighs, trying to get myself together.

A knock on the door made me jump back a little. "What?" I spat out.

"Sorry," I heard Phil's muffled voice from the back of the door.

"Come in."

"God, you look beautiful." He breathed out, looking me right in the eye.

I stare down at my black skater skirt that was worn over some ripped tights and for the first time, a white basic t-shirt that was tucked inside. I pulled on the gold chain necklace around my neck and turned away from his constant gaze.

Letting my hair fall over my face to hide my reddening cheeks. I muttered, "Sure."

"No, really. You do." Phil smiled and ran a hand through his dirty blonde hair. His eyes always twinkling. They reminded me of the streams that provides a cooling against the hot summer season.

I looked up at him then, trying to figure out the intense feeling in his eyes, but a knock on the door interrupts that.

As Laura opens the door and steps into my room, I could hear a lot of talking going on downstairs which made me wonder exactly how many people she invited. Rubbing my hands on my skirt for the umpteenth time now, I smiled up at Laura. "We were just about to make our way down. Let's?" I told her and turn around, motioning Phil to follow us.

He smiled back at me and closed the door to my room before walking down behind us. I held onto the railing trying to keep still in the black heeled ankle boots. As soon as I make it down, I look up from my feet and find David holding a box that was wrapped in a black matte gift paper with a golden now at the side, looking up at me with wide eyes.

"What?" I exclaimed, looking down at myself wondering if there was something wrong with the way I looked.

"Nothing. You look beautiful." He grinned. "It's just that, I mean, not that it's a problem or anything, but you've always worn red lipstick. This is the first time-"

He's cut off by Laura who's instantly by his side, her arm wrapped around him as she tells him that it was her who convinced me that a baby pink on my already tiny lips would look better. I tried not to look at her weirdly and just smiled tightly and thanked David for the present before excusing myself. 

Walking into the living room with the box in hand, I noticed my dad sitting on the couch along with some of the people from my school. I recognized Thomas from my Math class and smiled at him. My eyes searched the room only to land on a face that I did not want to see. Daniel. 

He walked up to me, his grin wide and his eyes shining. "Happy Birthday!" he said. He was about to move in for a hug, but I stepped away. "Please don't." I told him.

I tried to avoid eye contact, my eyes wandering to the black and baby pink balloons scattered randomly on the floor and all the silver streamers hanging up, making everything seem so exciting. Making turning eighteen seem so very exciting.