chapter eighteen

𝐓he days passed quickly with the festivities and all the students were excited except for Eden

𝐓he days passed quickly with the festivities and all the students were excited except for Eden. It was the first holiday she'd spent without her family, and she'd had a knot in her stomach for a few days, which grew worse as the students hurried home with their suitcases. The redhead took Elina in her arms and smiled at her.

"Have a nice Christmas, but don't eat too much chocolate, you'll get sick again," she said with a laugh. Elina rolled her eyes at her and gave her a kiss on the cheek before taking out a small box.

"This is for you, you can open it at Christmas," she said. Eden looked at the package and felt bad, she didn't have anything for Elina and she seemed to read her mind. "Don't worry, your friendship is good enough, see you soon, Eden."

Eden waved and she watched her walk away with a pang of sadness. The redhead sighed and ran a hand through her hair as she headed for the library. She'd rather be reading than watching practically everyone leave with a smile on their face.

"Marks!" a voice called.

Eden turned, her hand on the handle of the library door, to see Mattheo running towards her. It was strange to see him in a suit and she frowned as he stopped in front of her, out of breath.

"Are you going to a wedding?" she asked, trying to be funny. He grunted and adjusted his tie, which was too tight around his neck. "Wait." Eden walked over to him and loosened it before doing it properly again, then looked up at him.

"My dad likes it when you look good," he murmured. "I hate this fucking suit."

"You look good in it," Eden blurted out. "What the hell are you doing here? Shouldn't you be at the train station?"

"I wanted to see you before I left," he said, scratching his neck. Mattheo cleared his throat, then pulled a small package with a letter from his pocket before handing it to Eden. "This is for you, there's a spell on it so you don't open it before christmas. You said you didn't like surprises, so I took precautions."

Eden looked at him, then took the gifts in her hands with a small smile. She hated surprises and waiting was frustrating.

"Thanks, I didn't get you anything, I didn't think you..." she began.

"I don't need anything. See you in the new year, I guess," he cut her off.

Eden nodded and Mattheo hesitated to place a kiss on her cheek, but held back and walked away. Eden looked at her presents and frowned, why had he given her anything? She gave up trying to read and went up to her room to put her presents away and lay down on her bed.

She missed her parents, felt sad and realised she was crying when a tear landed in her ear and she winced as she sat up, running her sleeve over her face to wipe away the tears. The castle had gone quiet by the time she went downstairs for her meal and sat down next to Theodore.

"Are you all right?" he asked. He took a spoonful of soup and looked at Eden, who smiled at him.

"Yes, I'm fine. It's weird not having too many people around," she replied. Eden poured herself some soup and ate without appetite before taking a walk around the castle with Theodore. She felt his hand in hers and squeezed it gently.

"I know this can't be easy for you, so I have something for your first night vacation," Theodore said. "And no, I'm not going to sleep with you." He laughed and gave her a little nudge. Eden rolled her eyes and followed him in silence. He stopped in front of a wall and the room of Requirement appeared.

Eden looked at the door, a few weeks earlier she had been there with Mattheo and they had made love for the first time. She walked in and looked around the room. It was filled with grass on the floor with flowers and the ceiling was just a sky covered with stars. In the middle was a bed. It was made of wood and there were curtains around it.

"It's beautiful," she said, smiling.

"I know, I'm proud of myself," he joked. "Come on." He led her over to the bed and dropped onto it. Eden followed, staring at the ceiling. There were a few candles floating, spreading their light softly, and the big moon was so close that Eden could see every detail. Theodore looked at her and smiled.

"Thank you, Theodore," Eden said, turning her head to face him. At least she was in a place she loved, although it wasn't going to bring her parents back. She bit her lip and Theodore intertwined their fingers.

"It's not much, but if it gets you through a good night then it's perfect," Theodore replied. "Do you have a date for the New Year's ball?"

"I don't even know if I want to go. I think it's stupid that Malfoy invited just the purebloods," the redhead blurted out. Theodore stroked her thumb with his and planted a kiss on it.

"Lucius Malfoy likes to show off, we don't have to go, but if the Queen of Hell ever wants to show up, I'd be delighted to be her date," Theodore laughed.

Eden didn't answer, she was worried. It was no secret that Lucius Malfoy was a supporter of Voldemort, which meant that he would probably be there, since Mattheo would be there. Perhaps she could find out something. She snuggled up against Theodore and closed her eyes, wouldn't finding information betray Mattheo? She was lost and looked up at Theodore, she didn't want to use a potion on him, she hoped he would be honest.

"Have you ever been to Mattheo's?" she asked.

"I have, but he's not much for entertaining. We mostly see each other outside, why?" replied Theodore.

"I'm just curious, that's all. And have you ever spoken to his father?" Eden didn't want to ask too many questions; if Theodore had never spoken to Voldemort, then he wouldn't know anything. He didn't answer right away, he hated lying, but if she knew the truth, she'd hate him, and she'd be in danger. He knew her well enough to know she would do dangerous things.

"We're talking about a psychopath, he's not the type to make conversation," he said.

Eden nodded in agreement and remained silent, there was no point in insisting and she might have better luck with Draco. The redhead buried her face in Theodore's neck and he held her close, gently stroking her back and she closed her eyes, falling asleep under the false stars.