Chapter One

The annoying ringing of my phone wakes me up at 9 in the morning and I am suddenly over-whelmed with realisation that today is the first day of my internship for the Barcelona Football Club. As I jump out of my king-sized bed, I kick on my slippers and run to the bathroom even-though there was no real rush as I do, in fact, live alone! After 21 years of living with my parents I have moved out, to one of the most beautiful cities in the world: Barcelona. I've done my fair share of tourism here and I've been to Camp Nou four times now but this time I'm meeting all of the players and managers and coaches and something about that gets me so excited.

Myself, I'm studying Sports Medicine at a university, and this is the one year I get to spend somewhere as an intern which is freaking awesome if you ask me. So where else would I go apart from where my step-cousin, Marc Bartra works. He's basically my step-dad's brother's son so we're kind of linked somehow. My actual dad is gone, somewhere... I don't really care to be completely honest.

Anyway, enough with the side-tracking because I've now had a shower, got ready and I'm driving towards Camp Nou. I had an ID card on me for me to sign in and everything which is pretty cool. Oh my! I'M SO EXCITED! Like come on, I'm meeting some of the worlds greatest football players: Messi, Suarez, Neymar...Pique! I mean the guy has kids with the sex symbol of Spain and latin America... was that weird? Nah.
I park in the nearest available space and jog towards the stadium and walk inside. The process was simple and I tried to be professional but I was smiling like some sort of idiot the entire time as people instructed me where to go and what to do. I was told to just wait in one of those car-type seats in the stadium just outside of the little tunnel, and I did so with my notepad and pen, I ended up doodling a few things enjoying the peace, it was so relaxing I could do this all day.

But my head shot up as I was startled by the obnoxious sounds of men running out on to the pitch and laughing. It was almost as if I was invisible, the players just ran out onto the field and began practising their skills and I eventually got noticed by the one, and only Luis Enrique. And as he took steps toward me I stood up and held my hand out to shake his.

"Ah, you must be.. " he struggled remembering my name so I quickly filled in the gap

"-Erika Montes, nice to meet you sir," I spoke and he smiled.

"Ah, Miss Erika well I don't really know what it is you're meant to be doing but all of the paramedics are over there, maybe they could be of some use?" he pointed right across to the other side of the pitch. I really didn't feel like walking all the way around so I figured why not run across it? After all, I am a sports medicine student and in order to be good at that, you're generally expected to be fit and healthy yourself. So I began to run across the pitch and about half way down, a ball was rolling towards my feet so I stopped, took a look at a group of about 3 footballers waiting for me to pass it back and so I stepped back and swung my leg at the ball with as much force as I could get and it flew across the pitch, I was so proud of myself. The footballers began to whistle at me as I bowed down and proceeded with getting to my assigned group of paramedics.
The group was basically three actual paramedics and one more girl who was my age, standing there also with a notepad in hands.

"Hello, my name is Sabrina Mello da Silva," the girl forced her hand into mine and shook it.

"...hi, my name is Erika Lima Montes, if we're being formal," I laughed awkwardly and Sabrina joined in, she's awfully happy. I haven't decided if I like her or not, hm.

"So how'd you get in to this programme? A rich dad? That's how I did it.. He's a sponsor now!" Sabrina went off with the questions and this kind of forwardness made me slightly nervous, I have troubles communicating with people...

"No, uh actually my cousin works for the club so I got him to make the links," I smiled and Sabrina looked a bit confused

"So like he's the janitor or what...?" She asked and I truly laughed at this blonde girl.

"No, Sabrina by cousins name is Marc and he plays WITH the team," I explained slowly so she could follow along though she still didn't seem to get it.

"What, like you're saying Marc Bartra is your cousin?... NO," oh great, we've got a non-believer on our hands. I took the whistle from around my neck and blew it before screaming.

"MAAAAAAAARCCC!!!!!!!" And seeing my step cousin run towards me and my... Acquaintance.

" yes? " he asked.

"She doesn't believe me, tell her you're my cousin," I spoke giving Marc the devil eye and his eyes went wide before he turned to Sabrina and stated

"I'm her cousin," and walked off. I was engaging in conversation with Sabrina I didn't see all of the
Paramedics leave for a break so we just stood there around their duffel bags and the job seemed pretty simple... Up until the point when two of the players collided mid-air and bounced off each other painfully hitting the ground. my eyes went wide for a second before I went with my gut instinct and picked up a bag and ran with full speed to what was happening, surprisingly Sabrina was right behind me, she went to go look at Pedro as I rushed to
Neymar who was on the floor rolling about holding his shin like a baby. He wouldn't stop moving so I couldn't help him

"Jesus Christ Neymar stay still!" I yelled at him and he literally froze in the position. I rolled straightened his leg on the floor and rolled down his sock, there was nothing there except from a red mark that I sprayed with an ice thing to take away some of the pain and he stood up limping. I was getting all of my stuff and I stood up to look right at Neymar who was staring right back at me. "You might want to wear Shin-pads next time, genius," I rolled my eyes and began to walk back to where Sabrina and I were standing previously. But Neymar's voice stopped me.

"Hold on!" He limped to me.

"Yes?" I faced him.

"What's your name?" She spoke smoothly and I chuckled at him, is he really hitting on me?

"I'll tell you when you put shin-pads on," and I sasses off. I was proud of myself, like talk about hard to get. But damn!! I've never seen Neymar this close and .... Real. He's absolutely gorgeous... I can't tell a lie but there's something about him that completely turns me off. But I'm not here for this anyway, I need to complete my course and I can leave. Guys are just an unnecessary distraction that I can easily avoid, I've done it for 21 years already...