Untitled Part 22

"Max? Max, where are we going?" Max looked away as he walked by your side, his hand never leaving yours. "Max, no, no..."

The sounds of the ward forced pressure to crush down on your chest and made it hard to breathe. One room cracked open as a nurse left with white gloves stained red, and the wails of pain leaked into the hall. The heaviness in your head lifted enough to crane your neck to see the walls decorated with teddies with pink and blue bows and posters on breastfeeding.

The cries of newborns came and went with the rooms that you passed and your brother looked at you with pity in his eyes.

"I shouldn't be here," you whispered as your gurney was pivoted into a private room and the orderly left. A tense silence filled the room while you waited for the doctors to come. "I shouldn't be here, Max."

"You're having a baby, zusje."

Panic spiked and you looked down at your body in confusion and fear, your voice screeching, "Now?"

"No!" he rushed to answer before his tone softened and he took a seat beside you. "Not right now.  Look, we should wait until Charles and Lando get here."

"No, no, I need to get out of here. This is a mistake." You were quicker this time and tore the IV line from your hands before anyone could stop you. Getting out of the room was another problem, you felt like bambi on ice and could barely keep your weak legs straight as you stumbled to the exit.

"Get back on the fucking bed," Max growled as he blocked the door. "You may not believe it, but it's not just you that you're risking because you're being stubborn."

Your hand reached for the soft skin of your abdomen before you forced it to your side again in a fist. "Do they know? Is that why they aren't here?"

"What are you talking about? Can you just get in the bed!"

"No, Jos left after mum got pregnant. Daniil and Kelly broke up after having P," your voice broke as you dropped your head and sweat dripped down your neck. "Babies change things, is that why they left me?"

"Oh, zusje, no." Max closed the space and pulled you into his arms. "They haven't left you, I told you they are on their way. Charles was by your side the whole time and they wanted to come in the helicopter but they couldn't. Don't you remember?"

You shook your head against his chest, unable to see that the door had opened behind him.

"Those two love you, and they aren't leaving you." Max looked over his shoulder and stepped away so Lando and Charles could calm you down in a way only they had the power to do.

"You must be crazy to think we would ever leave you, baby." He took your hand and paled at the sight of the blood seeping from where the IV was.

"What have you done, amour?" Charles sighed and shook his head. "Get her back in the bed, she's still too warm. I'll go find a doctor."

"Sorry, she freaked out at the news."

"We should have been here with her," he said wistfully as he watched Lando carefully lay you back on the cooling pad and wrap the chilled blankets around you.

"You should have worn a fucking condom." Knowing his temperament was unstable, Max nodded his head to the bed and excused himself. "You stay here, I'll find the doctor."

For the second time in less than 12 months you were staring at a contract that was null and void. It was hard not to resent the little bean growing inside of you at the turn of events but it wasn't her fault that you had a moment of stupidity when you were drunk. No one publicly knew the full extent of your condition outside of the handful of people who had signed NDA's. You still didn't quite understand it. Obviously, you did, but some part of your brain still refused to accept it.