Untitled Part 13

Christmas Eve 2022

"I could get used to this," you murmured happily. The sun was warm on your skin, the waves gently rocked the boat and you were with your favourite people in the world.

"What, unemployment?"

You dared to open your eyes against the bright sunlight just to glare at Max as he stood on a paddleboard a few feet away from the edge. "Relaxing, you asshat."

Lando rolled over at the disturbance but his eyes didn't open before he settled back on his side and draped an arm over your stomach. "She's got a job," he mumbled half-asleep. "Lady of the House."

"Lady," Max snorted. "Good one."

You sat up and stretched before getting to your feet, much to Lando's displeasure. "Water looks nice."

Max scanned the beautiful blue sea, spotting Charles kitesurfing where the wind was stronger beyond the lee. "It's a little cold."

"Even better." You ran and leapt from the back of his boat, tackling him around the waist and knocking him off the paddleboard and into the frigid water. You were laughing as you resurfaced and found Max looking like a drowned rat as he tried to scramble back onto his board.

"Fuck off," he shivered as you shook the board everytime he got on it, Lando's loud laugh upsetting the gulls that hung around hoping for scraps.

"Nuh-uh, not until you admit I am a Lady." You grabbed the board again and shoved it about. "Earthquake!"

"Sweetheart, stop harassing poor Max."

"Poor Max?" You echoed as you gave him one last push before tipping your head back to float on the surface. "I can't believe my mum's favourite child isn't even her own."

"I don't have a favourite," she said as she set down a tray of baking at the outdoor table, P quickly following as she smelt the fresh cookies.

"You should, since you only have me, your numero uno."

She rolled her eyes at your dramatics and you wondered if that's how you looked when you did the same thing. "Come and eat, honey. Now that you have no job there's no need for those strict diets."

You pulled yourself up the steps off the back of the boat and Lando held your towel open for you, wrapping it tightly in his arms so you were bundled inside. "I have a job," you said with a laugh as Lando's drying tickled you.

"That's not a job," Max reminded as he stepped onto the boat and dragged the paddleboard onto the deck.

"Obviously. But, seriously, you are looking at an Aston Martin pilot."

"That's a bit of a risk," Max said with a frown at the news. "Lance's father is always going to put him ahead of you."

"Well as long as he doesn't try to kill me then it's already an improvement," you said with a small laugh.

Max sat heavily on the padded bench and dropped head in his hands. He was still struggling to accept that Jos had tampered with your brakes and taken the fuse for the water pump before your last race. He had been obsessed with having the Verstappen name on the winners trophy.

Apparently he hadn't tried to kill you, he was just trying to slow you down so Max would get the points he needed to win the championship. The brakes were meant to work too well, not stop working entirely. It didn't change the fact that your own father had nearly been the death of you.

"That's not funny, love," Lando muttered in your ear, his arms tightening around you as he remembered the crash and the fear he had felt that day.

"No, but if I don't laugh about it I will cry, and that's not pretty."