RAPTURE

The Dove

______________________________________
"I should just go home" I declared, feeling a sudden wave of anxiety wash over me. The looming shadows of the unknown crept into my mind, casting doubts and fears. The prospect of returning to my solitary dwelling seemed increasingly appealing. Eden regarded me carefully, his eyes narrowing ever so slightly. His concern was palpable, and I knew he understood the dangers of my petite self venturing alone in the dark. "Yeah... I should really get home to sleep" trying to sound convincing. To my surprise, he agreed immediately "As you wish, but I'll be taking you home".

"No- I mean, I'm quiet capable myself" my voice cracked briefly. Giving away my cowering prowess. I looked down to my feet, attempting to escape his gaze. As I did so, more deep drunken voices could be heard from the street. Eden glanced towards the street, then back to me, my head still held low. "Its either them... or me" he whispered. I flicked my gaze towards him. He must have noticed my hesitation because he extended his long arm towards me, signaling his readiness to escort me home. His gesture was firm yet graceful, exuding an inviting warmth. Yet something about him still didn't set right in my gut.

He did sorta stalk me earlier. Following me around like a creepy lost puppy. No, worse, a wolf with its sights on prey. And there I was, the naive deer oblivious to the danger. Was I truly going to let myself fall victim to his possible predatory gaze? This stranger who'd saved me from harassment, but followed me nonetheless. I stared down at my shoes, fidgeting uncomfortably. It was difficult to maintain composure with Eden's enigmatic presence hovering over me. His intentions remained veiled beneath layers of mystery. His stoic expression gave away nothing, save for the burning intensity of his icey eyes, covered slightly by his whispy black hair. Falling perfectly over his perfect face. Almost too perfect. I couldn't help but wonder, was he from around here? Was he a tourist? He seemed to know the area well.

"I think I'd rather take my chances with a cab home" I spoke calmly, not wanting to provoke him. Who knows what he's capable of, apart from that incident earlier. He stared down at me, not speaking a word as I reached for my phone. I fumbled, moving a strand of hair behind my ear. Fuck, no service and I haven't updated my phone plan since moving. Eden must have noticed my struggle, as he tskd reaching for his own phone. Rude. "I'll call you a cab," Eden volunteered, his tone implying a sense of inevitability. He watched me closely as he navigated the screen, tapping numbers to call a taxi company. The awkward silence stretched between us, punctuated only by the occasional ringtone from the taxi line. Eden stood before me, his posture rigid and unwavering. Believe me when I say this man was massive, I may be 5 foot fuck all, but he must have been 6 foot six or something. His gaze seemed to bore into my soul, dissecting every inch of my person, exposing my hidden depths. His stare alone made me vulnerable.

He radiated confidence, an aura of power emanating from his tall, muscular form. As he held the phone to his ear, the muscles in his arms contracted, flexing beneath his jacket. Despite being in a dark alley, his silhouette stood out sharply against the backdrop. His jawline was defined, his plump lips formed an iron hard line. The call must have gone through, because Eden started speaking to the operator. As I waited I pulled out a small packet of skittles from my purse, all that alcohol made me starving. His voice was calm and composed, a stark contrast to his intimidating physical appearance. He was surprisingly patient, explaining our exact location and asking for the nearest available cab. I listened, captivated by the tranquility in his interactions. Despite his rough edges, he revealed a softer side, one that belied his tough exterior.

His next sentence shocked me. Revealing he was indeed the man I saw outside my apartment. "Yes, 615 Pere Antoine Alley". He knew my fucking address. My heart pounded in my chest, my hands trembled as I popped a yellow Skittle into my mouth, the yellow ones are the best ones in my opinion. How did he know... oh wait, he was following me duh. My paranoia spiraled, the realization hitting me like a ton of bricks. He was watching me outside my apartment, and now I knew he knew where I lived, and he obviously followed me into town. The idea of a stranger knowing my personal space sent chills down my spine. Especially one as terrifying as Eden. He hung up the phone, his expression unchanging. "Cab should be here shortly". I nodded. He observed me tipping the rest of the skittles into my mouth. Crunching loudly in the cold silence.