𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐞𝐧

(DISCLAIMER: This chapter will be short, but sweet since it is the last chapter. Of course, there will be an Epilogue--because all of my stories MUST have an Epilogue, lol--anyways, thank you guys for reading this book! I had a holly jolly time writing it and hope that you guys had a holly jolly time reading it as well! Consider this my Christmas gift to you guys!)

* * *

Christmas Morning came quicker than expected and all Caitlyn could do was wonder if Landon was going to come down to say goodbye to her before she left to get to the airport so she could make her flight in time. She had high hopes that she would at least be sent off with a hug or a text, but sadly, Landon was a no-show, and it seemed to break her heart even further.

    Caitlyn had already boarded the plane and had checked her phone over and over for any sign of a text or maybe a missed call from Landon, but there was nothing. All she wanted to do was cry, but she wouldn't. Not on a plane full of people that she didn't know from a can of paint. She just had to accept the fact that Landon didn't come after her. He was okay with losing her again, and that it simply wasn't meant to be. She wouldn't force it. She would deal with it, allow herself to heal and grow, and thrive underneath the spotlight that was being given to her.

    As the plane took flight, Caitlyn put her headphones in and shuffled her Christmas playlist. Ironically, the first song to play was Christmas Eve by Justin Bieber. Now, it sort of gave her a sad feeling because she now associated the song with Landon. It was like she couldn't hear or see something that didn't remind her of Landon. It frustrated her, but this was simply a part of heartbreak that she would have to go through for a few days or months.

Caitlyn let out a sigh as she glanced out of the window, looking at the ground a distance between the world and the plane. She then leaned her head back against the seat and shut her eyes, allowing sleep to wash over her as she thought about all the possibilities that could've been between her and Landon.

***

One Hour and Forty-Two Minutes Later...

    New York City...

    There's no place like it.

That's what Caitlyn had always thought. That was also what she always told people whenever she was asked how life was living there, but now, she wondered if any place would feel more like home than in North Carolina during the holidays. She should be eating Christmas cookies and opening presents with Caitlyn, Landon, Laila, and Kai while also fighting with Landon about what Christmas music to listen to.

    It was safe to say that she felt empty in a way. It was as if a part of her was left in North Carolina and she didn't know if she would be able to get it back until next December. But did she really want to wait that long to get that piece of her back? If she got it back, would she ever be the same person? Once again, there were too many What-Ifs present in her life, and once again, she couldn't handle it. She felt as if she were suffocating and a part of her wanted to succumb to the feeling and let herself suffocate under the pressure of being unsure.

Opening the door to her house, Caitlyn was confused to see Christmas decor surrounding her foyer. She could tell that there were lights on in the living room, so she frowned, recalling that before she left for North Carolina, she hadn't decorated, nor had she left the lights on. A part of her wondered if she had walked into the wrong house until she saw her framed photo of her meeting Justin Hartley last year at Madison Square Garden, that's how she knew she was home.

Cautiously, she walked forward and the closer she got to the living room, the more she heard the sound of Christmas music playing. She knew from the sound of it, that the music was coming from her record player which she rarely used but, when she did, she loved the sound of it.

"Hello?" She called out. "Is anyone there?"

    No reply.

    "If someone's there, I'd just like to warn you that if you try to kill me, I will kill you before you kill me! I have a black belt in karate and a collection of knives waiting for you!" Caitlyn warned.

"Now would you really wanna kill me?" the sound of Landon's voice says, as he steps into Caitlyn's view with a smirk. "Because, if you did, then you wouldn't be able to get your Christmas gift."

Caitlyn's jaw dropped in shock as she stared at Landon's tall figure standing in the walkway of her living room. He looked tired–almost desperate, but his signature smirk was still stuck on his face. "What are you doing here?" she asks.

"I messed up," He says. "I got defensive because I was scared of losing you, but I realized that if I just stayed behind and let you walk away... I'd lose you for good, and I can't let that happen. So, here I am..."

"What about your job offer?" She asks.

Landon took a step towards her, taking her hands in his. "I came up with a deal with them to only work in studios in New York so that I can stay with you. They agreed, and I start next week."

"You're serious?" Caitlyn asked in disbelief.

"As a heart attack.." Landon says with a grin, reaching to touch her cheek. "I'm not going anywhere."

Caitlyn smiled. "Good, because neither am I."

The two looked at each other and then glanced up, seeing that once again, they were under a mistletoe and smiled at each other shyly.

"Mistletoe.." Caitlyn giggled.
Landon nodded, chuckling. "It must be fate."

"Finally..." Caitlyn says.

Landon grins, leaning down and pressed his lips against his. The two smiled into the kiss as Caitlyn wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling him closer to her.

"Merry Christmas, Landon.." Caitlyn says.

"Merry Christmas, Cait." He replies, pressing a kiss to her forehead.

* * *

THE END!

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVE GUYS!

Thanks so much for enjoying this story! See you guys for another Christmas story next December! Happy holidays🎄