𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐧𝐞

CHAPTER ONE: Pilot.
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁

Caitlyn

"Cait, are you sure you don't want to rest up first? I mean, you did drive twelve whole hours to get here." My best friend, Laysha asked for what felt like the one hundredth time since I had arrived.

I had arrived in Charleston, South Carolina at nine o'clock this evening and it was now eleven-thirty at night and we were opening boxes, preparing to decorate the house with the many Christmas decorations that were stored up tight in bins and boxes. The melodic voices of The Temptations' version of Silent Night played through the speakers as we sorted through which decorations we would use, might use, and wouldn't use.

"I'm sure, Lay," I assured her. "You know I don't miss out on any chance to decorate the Myers' house on Christmas."

Laysha and I giggled, knowing that what I said was, indeed true. The both of us continued to sort through the various bins and sat in silence, nodding our heads and softly singing along to the music. It was always like this on the first night. Laysha and I always began the night by sorting through decorations, listening to our favorite Christmas songs, and decorating the house. Sometimes we'd catch each other up if needed, and other times–like tonight–we sat in silence, just enjoying each others company.

"I'm gonna go use the bathroom, I'll be right back." I say, standing up and smoothing out my Julliard hoodie.

I could walk this house blind-folded. I knew every hallway, every staircase, every corner like it was a dance that was permanently etched in my bones. As I walked down the hall, I scanned every photo lined up on the wall and studied them like it was my first time seeing each and every one of them. I stopped at one in particular, my favorite picture of Laysha and I when we were fourteen. I remember that day like it was yesterday. It was the day that solidified my love for Charleston.

......

Flashback , December 14th, 2013

Laysha, Landon and I had been running around in the front yard, arguing about which deer would look best beside Rudolph. Laysha and I believed that the sparkling pink reindeer we had picked out would look best, but Landon thought that the traditional reindeer would look the best. We had been arguing for thirty minutes straight with no breaks–Laysha had given up, but Landon and I, our argument was still going strong.

"Nobody wants to drive by and see an ugly, pink reindeer beside Rudolph! That's doesn't even look right! It's not even in the story, movie, or the song." Landon argued.

"It doesn't matter, dummy! It's cute, we like it, and majority rules! Our reindeer stays!" I shouted, stamping my foot.

Landon rolled his eyes and to my surprise, he shoved me so hard that I fell back into the three inches of snow on the ground of the front yard. My jaw dropped in shock, but I quickly got up and shoved Landon back, but harder, causing him to fall into the snow. Immediately, Laysha and I paused, looking at what I had done, glanced at each other and fell into a laughing fit.

Our laughter stopped once we saw a big flash come from the window in the kitchen. We glanced up and saw Mr. and Mrs.Myers laughing with a camera in their hands, which caused for Laysha and I to laugh even harder, while Landon, looked completely upset and embarrassed, which made it even funnier.

"It's not funny, Lay." Landon grumbled, rolling his eyes as he marched inside the house.

Before Landon walked into the house, he made sure to bump my shoulder on his way inside, which prompted me to make a snow ball and throw it at him. I was aiming for his back, but ended up hitting him in the back of his neck.