𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫

Landon Myers

I haven't been that close to Caitlyn since two years ago. It felt foreign, of course, but something about it also felt right. I had been sitting in my room thinking about it for the past two weeks or so.

I had also been wondering why in the world she had suddenly let that wall she built around herself for that one moment afyer Laysha left the hospital room. She really let me have it, and I knew she wasn't scolding me just to do it, or just to spite me, she was doing it because she cared.

I didn't even know that she still cared about me after what happened two years ago...

Things have been radio silent when it came to Caitlyn and I. She won't even look in my general direction—well, actually, that's not true. I caught her making a few sneak glances at me a few times earlier, but other than that, she won't look me in the eye or look at me when I'm blatantly looking at her.

It's weird. It's almost as if that entire moment changed our entire dynamic. It kind of made me slightly uncomfortable because I didn't understand what was going on, nor did I understand why she distanced herself. We had never really been close enough for her to distance herself.

Right now, Laysha was rambling on and on about how she should take the liberty of picking tonight's Christmas movie. Last night, Caitlyn picked, then Laila picked the night before, and Kai picked the night before Laila. Knowing Laysha, she was going to try and make us watch some extremely romantic Christmas movie that would eventually make her cry at the end once the couple finally gets together.

I had zoned out the moment that Laysha mentioned movies like The Holiday, The Noel Diary, and The Holiday Calendar.

I didn't understand why she couldn't have just gone down the traditional route like the rest of us had, you know, suggesting How The Grinch Stole Christmas, A Charlie Brown Christmas, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer, Elf, Home Alone, A Christmas Carol. Things like that. But my sister being my sister, she always had to take the romantic way out.

"No," Laila protested. "Hell no. I am not sitting here and watching a movie with QuincyBrown!"

Laysha's jaw dropped in disbelief. "But you love Quincy Brown."

"No," Laila says, crossing her arms. "I love Quincy Brown when he has his beard. He shaved it for this movie, so the essence of his handsomeness is revoked."

Caitlyn nodded. "I have to agree with her. Sorry, Lays."

"So, that's a no for The Holiday Calendar." I said, scratching the movie off the list. "So, now we have Almost Christmas, This Christmas, Home Alone 2, and Santa Claus Is Coming to Town."

Laysha huffed and rolled her eyes. "But those movies are such—."

"Classics?" Caitlyn says.

"The best Christmas movies?" Laila adds.

"All around iconic movies?" Kai says.

Laysha crossed her arms and shook her head. "No. Basic. They're basic! We watch those movies every year! And we banned watching Almost Christmas because we had a similar situation happen two years ago and it practically ruined Landon and Caitlyn's bond!"

Only my sister would bring that day up...

"I thought we vowed to never talk about that day again." Laila says awkwardly.

"Oh...right..." Laysha mumbled in embarrassment. "Sorry, guys."

We sat in awkward silence for a while. For those few moments, I couldn't even stop myself from glancing over at Caitlyn. She had this look on her face as if she was remembering everything about that day and it was all coming at her at once—and fast.