𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

Flashback, Two Years Ago...Christmas Day

Christmas Day.

It was everyone's favorite day of the year. The first person awake was, of course, Laysha. She was in her flannel Christmas pajamas with her long hair in a claw-clip style as she ran down the hallway from her bedroom and began rapidly knocking on everyone's bedroom doors shouting, "WAKE UP! IT'S CHRISTMAS!" She then ran down the steps and slid her way into the living room, plopping down on the couch, and patiently waited for everyone to join her.

The first ones down were Caitlyn and Laila. They tiredly wiped their eyes, but the clear expression of excitement on their faces couldn't be hidden as they sat down beside Laysha on the couch. Lastly, Landon walked down the steps in only a pair of flannel pajama pants, a white wife beater, and a durag on his head.

"You couldn't wait until at least 12:00," Landon groaned. "It's literally 11:15 and I didn't go to bed until like 3:30."

"That sounds like a personal problem," Laysha says. "Now, come on! It's time to open gifts!"

The three of them circled around the tree, handing each other wrapped gifts that were labeled for each other, and began ripping the wrapping paper and opening their gifts. The sound of Christmas music flooded the living room in harmony along with the sound of the occasional elated gasp and the sound of torn wrapping paper. Gifts spanning from blankets, jewelry, perfume, clothes, shoes, and other things began filling the room with array as they thanked each other for the presents that were gifted to them.

"Uh, Caitlyn," Laila says. "There's one more gift here for you..."

Caitlyn reached out, took the small gift from her, and looked at the label that read:

To: Caitlyn

From: Landon (aka. Jerkwad)

Caitlyn glanced over at Landon in surprise and smiled shyly, heat creeping up into her cheeks. "You got me something?" she asks, carefully tearing the wrapping paper.

Landon nodded, smiling like a shy schoolboy. "Yeah, well...it's more like I made something for you, but I also want you to listen to it when you're alone...Laysha will never let me live this down."

"AND WON'T," She exclaimed. "You've never written a song for anyone until her! This is gold. BEST. CHRISTMAS. EVER."

Caitlyn smiled, looking down at the CD case in her hands. Written in Sharpie was the title of the song that Landon wrote for her in his handwriting: Santa Doesn't Know You Like I Do. She tucked the CD into the other pile of the gifts she had received, but she somehow knew that this was one of the most special gifts she had ever received. She also knew that it was instantly her favorite. No one had ever written a song for her. No one had ever deemed her as that special to write something about her...the thought that Landon saw her as someone special in his life made her heart swell.

"Thank you..." she says softly. "This means so mu—."

The sound of a knock at the door startled everyone. They weren't expecting anyone else, it was just the three of them—that's how it had normally been. So, who was at the door? With a confused look on his face, Landon got up and walked over to the front door. Laila, Caitlyn, and Laysha listened for any signs of someone that they may know but found none, all they heard was Landon's voice saying, "What are you doing here?"

"I can't come to spend Christmas morning with my boyfriend?" a female voice says.

Laysha's face fell at the sound of the voice. "You've got to be fucking kidding me."

Both Landon and his girlfriend, Julia walked into the living room. Julia took one look at Caitlyn and smirked smugly, reaching for Landon's hand to hold, but he snatched his hand away from her and sat on the other side of the room with an annoyed expression on his face. It seemed that just from Julia's presence, that his entire morning was ruined.

"So, Caitlyn," Julia says. "I heard that you and Landon went ice skating together the other day."

Caitlyn nodded, feeling uncomfortable. "Uh, yeah we did..."

Julia nodded. "Hmm," she says. "So he didn't tell you that he and I were still together, huh?"

"What the hell..." Laila mumbled in shock.

Caitlyn looked over at Landon, who looked like if he clenched his jaw any harder that it would snap in half. "What is she talking about?"

"Clearly he didn't tell you." Julia says smugly. "how could you have known? We were in a bad spot...he was confused. I mean, I hope you didn't think that there was anything between you and him—."

Landon glared at Julia. "Julia, stop."

"He always tells me that it's never gonna be anything between you two," Julia continues. "That you're just his little sister's best friend. Nobody important."

Caitlyn's heart that had once swelled at the thought of being special enough to be written a song about, immediately felt her heart crack a little at hearing Julia's words. Caitlyn glanced over at Landon and the fact that he didn't meet her eyes, told her everything that she needed to know.

Caitlyn shrugged. "That's...cool. I know when I'm not wanted. So, I'll just leave. I've got a plane to catch anyways."

"Caitlyn..." Landon says.

"Go to hell, Landon." She snapped.

Caitlyn ran up the steps and quickly ran into her bedroom, but before she could shut the door, Landon had blocked the door from shutting and stepped into her room.

"Caitlyn, please, let me explain—."

"Explain what? She told me everything that I needed to know," she snaps. "You saw an opportunity to be a dickhead and you took it! Just when I thought you changed..."

"I DID!" Landon says desperately. "I promise you I did---"

"No, you didn't!" Caitlyn snaps. "You...you took me out on a date! You kissed me and whole time you have a GIRLFRIEND?! You're selfish." 

Landon shook his head. "I swear, I was gonna break up with her, Cait." 

"I am NOT going to be the reason that you leave someone," She says, pointing her finger. "You weren't going to leave her to begin with, so I will not be deemed the reason that you leave her. Do NOT put me in that position. I am NOT that type of girl and I will never be." 

"Just let me make things right..." Landon pleaded.

"You wanna make things right," Caitlyn questions. "Start by leaving my room and leaving me alone. I don't want shit to do with you, Landon." 

Landon's face dropped and he shook his head. "You don't mean that..." 

"I do," she says, giving him a nonchalant stare. "Now leave. Please and thank you." 

Landon wanted to say more, but he ultimately knew that he had messed up with Caitlyn. As much as he wanted to make things work, he could tell that Caitlyn didn't want to hear what he had to say and that she was ultimately done with him. This would be a day that he ultimately would regret, and he knew it. 

* * * 

END OF CHAPTER SEVEN 

What did you guys think?